Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss triton millennium, Shower outlet (connects to hose) dripping in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. ColdEagle

ColdEagle New Member

Hi all, I was advised to try ask for help here, however I feel my "problem" might be too basics for the minds here.

New house purchase, everything's been going wrong and needing fixing so I'm trying to fix / replace what I can to save money. Tried the upstairs shower cubicle last night switched shower heads (as old one is mankey and half blocked) etc and notice that this morning there is still a drip every so often even when the unit is switched off. I unscrewed the hose from the unit (possibly not original) and there is a slow drip out of the outlet thing. Does anyone have any ideas please?
    The unit is white and says triton millennium on it, would it help if I put a picture up? I think it's what people refer to as an electric shower.

Also does anyone know if this shower is actually a good one or is it a cheapy one?
    Fingers crossed its something simple I can fix.

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Sounds like cartridge has gone / is going

Some pics would be ace

3. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber Top Contributor!!

This sounds like an electric shower (heats the water directly from cold). Am I right?
    If you leave the hose off for an hour and then check for drips, how many seconds between drips?

4. ColdEagle

ColdEagle New Member

Thank you. Is this what you need or are you thinking more of innards? (The heads my own).
    IMG_20171114_123051.jpg IMG_20171114_123021.jpg IMG_20171114_122935.jpg IMG_20171114_122927.jpg IMG_20171114_123030.jpg

5. ColdEagle

ColdEagle New Member

I think so, I've actually had the heating on since I've moved in to try help dry out the house so likely to have hot water in the tank but I think you're correct.
    I'll update in a bit r.e the number of drips after it has been left. But for an idea I've just unscrewed emptied the hose and its dripping roughly every 7 seconds from the outlet?

6. ShaunCorbs

Yea either the solenoid or cartridge had gone

TBH I wouldn't try and repair, I would replace

Triton or Mira 8.5kw shower

7. ColdEagle

ColdEagle New Member

Thank you, Oh that's a shame :(.
    Someone previously mentioned it might be a er a PRD(?) and they are apparently cheap and easy to replace. Was hoping it might be something like that as money's a bit tight rn.

So I'm looking at a new shower? And it needs to be a 8.5kw one? Would any of them give the same water pressure as is currently being given? Eg a cheap one or does that need an expensive one? Or is the difference in "features".

Also would anyone have an idea on costs for fitting or is this something a DIY'er might be able to do?

Oh I don't know if it's relevant but have a "back boiler" and will probably replace to a combi in a year or so.

Sorry for all the questions, this move is so taxing!

8. ShaunCorbs

No pressure relief is the flexible tube to the right of the shower outlet sorry to say

Really yes and to get the same flow yes you can get a 7.5kw but the flow / shower experience isn't good

I would recommend a middle of the road, you can take a chance on a cheap one if your going to be upgrading to a combi but buy a cheap one with a 2 year warranty

Depends how handy you are but a diyer could fit it themselves

9. ColdEagle

ColdEagle New Member

Oh right, thank you. I don't know anything about showers hence all my questions, sorry!

Ah! so if I get an 8.5kw it'll work with the existing wiring and not overload it? And maybe even the existing pipes and stuff?

I'm really picky about my showers and rather fanatical about my "water pressure" but I think more accurately it would be the flow rate(?), to me (and please forgive me if I'm using the incorrect terms) pressure without a load of water soaking isn't the same and I'd don't see any point in having the pressure without this.

Given this would you be able to point me in the direction of what I'm looking for to achieve this, please? Would this earlier statement change your suggestion of mid range? Or is this showering experience "included" at this level?

If you'd be able to guide me with a price range (eg x to y) or shower type etc? Obviously from the triton or mira range.
    Maybe a link on Amazon or something as well? As this is all very new to me and even though mid range is very helpful I worry.

Or would my "requirements" drastically change my budget? I am able to "mange" with what's in there currently but I'd rather not go down with my showering experience, higher flow / pressure is always nicer but I might not be able to.

I realise I am asking a lot here and if I am offending anyone I certainly am not intending to.

I will look into what's involved with fitting and see if it's within my comfort zone. If not can anyone give my a rough price range of I got a plumber to fit? (I assume s/he would handle the electrics as well).

Thanks again. I really appreciate all your advice

10. ShaunCorbs

As your existing is 8.5kw you should be ok with the wiring, if any doubts get it checked by a local spark

The pressure would stay the same just less or more flow depending on kw

If you went with a 7.5 kw it would be less flow etc

And aslong as you go for a common name like I've listed above and not a b and q special you will be fine

Unless you wanted to chance it lasting a year / until you change your system about etc

If you could manage with the dripping but of course we can't guarantee how long it would last before something else went etc could last 1 week or could last 3 years

Can supply links but what's your budget? No point supplying a link for a 400+ shower when you only have 150 etc

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ric2013

I'm inclined to agree with others who have said replace, as spare part assemblies tend to be poor value for money, especially on Triton, and unless the shower is genuinely in A1 condition except for the one fault, you'll be repairing it again before long.

Basically, the kW is how much heat you can put into the water flowing through, so the higher the kW, the more flow you can have before the water becomes too cold. As your existing is 8.5kW, then it stands to reason that your electrics will take 8.5kW. You may be able to go for a higher rated shower on your existing cable, but that really would take an electrician to assess for you. If you're happy with what you have, another 8.5kW shower, any brand, will give a similar rate of flow and temperature. Actually, if this were an electricians' forum, we'd be telling you that even replacement work in a special location like a bathroom is notifiable to building control.

Price tends to give features such as shinier controls, a greater number of spray patterns on the spray head, thermostatic temperature control (might be handy to keep the temperature the same when others are likely to be using water at the same time as you), but basically, an 8.5kW shower, in my opinion, is an 8.5kW shower.

You'll probably find that budget Triton gives a more luxurious set of control knobs for less money than Mira, but my experience is that a budget Mira has cheaper spares and is more reliable than a budget Triton. May cost a little more, but not always. I'd be inclined to see what is currently available at, say, Screwfix.

If you're DIYing, then the main point is to find a replacement that allows the water and electrics to come in the same way that they did before - no good having a new shower with water entry on the left side if your existing water comes through on the right.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ColdEagle

ColdEagle New Member

Thank you gents, sorry for that delay, ran into another problem with the house.
    Potentially would it be ok to run with the shower drip for now? I assume it's "safe"?

Sadly the potential cost of install would affect my budget for the shower hence I'm sorta unable to answer.

A part of me is thinking try upgrade the shower if I have to get a new one but then with this new house and that everything is going wrong my budget is getting battered. Add in that fact nearly everything I'm doing myself seems to be going wrong lately / encountering difficult issues that need someone else to fix and I'm banging my head against the wall. Ah the joys of a new home.

13. ShaunCorbs

Yea will be fine, will get slowly worse but might last a year

• Like Like x 1
  14. ColdEagle

ColdEagle New Member

Thank you very much. And please don't think I'm ignoring all your really helpful advice, I'll come back in a bit and reassess,maybe things will go well soon and I can revisit :)

15. Ric2013

No offence taken. Good luck with it all until the next time!