Search the forum,

Discuss Trouble Making A 3 pipe Syphon with Hand Pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_20180120_1601371-1.jpg

I have a fish tank with 3 sections. I am trying to create a single siphon pump that will drain all three sections at the same time.

On the lower pipe at the left before the hand pump I have used a valve.

In each elbow at the top, some airline pipe feeds in the top of the pipe and down the pipe on the outside of the tank a couple of inches. At the top of the air line pipe is a 1 way valve.

First I close the bottom valve, then suck the air out of each pipe to create a siphon.

Then I release the valve and some water will trickle out, i use the hand pump to pull the water out faster.

Now... all three of the tanks have drained, but not simultaneously, and it tends to be only 1 that will drain, usually the one on the far right, or far left.

Can anyone offer some insight here?

You trying to do all 3 at the same time ?

You trying to do all 3 at the same time ?

Yes I am,

The two baffles are acryclic and though they are 6mm, when one side is full and the other empty, they bend quite a bit, so I am trying to create a hang on pipe system that will remove water from all three chambers at the same time.

wont work with all 3 at the same time, and will never work like you have it

better off valving it and doing one at a time

wont work with all 3 at the same time, and will never work like you have it

better off valving it and doing one at a time

Thank's for the reply, it was feeling like that was going to be the answer. Think I'm just going to pop 3 small water pumps on the end of each pipe and pump the water out that way.

• Winner
Reactions: deg
Before buying pumps you could try a 50mm pipe as the main discharge and keep the 3 small vertical pipes as is OR drain each tank one at a time.

Make up two 40mm u-shaped pipes from drain pipe and elbows. If you fill them with water, put caps on them to keep them full whilst you place them upside down to link all three sections of the tank together, then when you pump out any one of the sections the u-pipes should allow the water height to equalise across all 3 sections of the tank.

Drawing1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Trouble Making A 3 pipe Syphon with Hand Pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, grateful for your expertise on the following. DIYer, not pro. Rural property in France Single storey. Septic tank. Late 80s construction with concrete slab subfloor. All of the waste pipes run in the concrete, and exit the property at the chamber as pictured, just outside the building...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. A couple of things. 1 am I better fabricating bends in 14 mm copper for my ch or are 90 degree elbows fine, ref flow, friction ect. 2 my ch boiler, non condensing is playing up, I can get hot water, but when heating is on pipes only get hot for 1st mtre or so? I can hear feel the...
Replies
Views
Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them? They are the pipes that feed water back into the top of the tanks when there is excess, presumably from steam, expansion, etc. The one going to the cold...
Replies
Views
Need some advice, neighbors sewer drain keeps blocking up every few months. My wife and I have always chipped in with the other three neighbors for unclogging tho we never experience ours clogging up. Sure we had it clog up once and had it blown out with high pressure water from local plumber...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have just installed a vented McDonald 250L thermal store, it is for multi fuel but currently just connected to a standard oil boiler in the garage which is fully pumped to the TS, the system has two pumps both basic 3speed Grunfoss, one on the boiler return and the other on the CH flow...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock