Search the forum,

Discuss Tundish overflowing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gillykms

Hello,

Hoping for some help!

We noticed a couple of weeks ago that there was a leak in the cupboard beneath the boiler. Upon further investigation and a little Googling I can confirm that the 'tundish' is completely full of water which doesn't seem to be draining away, or if it is then only very slowly. I have used a couple of hard wires and a hose to push down into it to see if any blockages but they only got down to the bottom and wouldn't go round the bend.

We had the boiler serviced 3 months ago and since then it does seem to be making funny noises when a hot bath is being filled. I took a look and the amount of water dripping out from the tundish is quite a lot when the bath is running. Even if it was a lot of water surely gravity would say it should be draining away regardless?

Now something else, which I'm wondering could it be connected somehow? My partner said yesterday he thought that our clothes from the washing machine smelled like onions. I had a look today and took the u-bend off the kitchen sink and it absolutely stinks....like onions!

Could these 2 things be connected? We are not having any issues with the sink itself, and the washing machine is working fine. Looking at the pipes today the sink and the one that connects into the tundish both seem to meet up somewhere behind the kitchen cupboards where I assume they go outside.

To confirm a few more details I live in a 7th floor flat, 6 years old and the boiler is an Atmos InterCombi HE32. (Not a Sentinel X100 which I put in my original post which was just what I read on the sticker on the front of it!)

Any advice appreciated!

Gilly

Last edited by a moderator:
Sentinel X100 will be the inhibitor in the system. To be honest you will probably need agas Safe engineer out to re-pipe it and ensure that it is installed to manufacturers instructions.

Hi Riley,

Thanks for your reply.

Having read up on this Sentinel X100 Inhibitor I can see that is now not the brand of my boiler, I just read that on a sticker! It's an Atmos InterCombi HE32.

Does my problem sound to you like there is a blockage somewhere?

Thanks
Gilly

Hi Riley,

Thanks for your reply.

Having read up on this Sentinel X100 Inhibitor I can see that is now not the brand of my boiler, I just read that on a sticker! It's an Atmos InterCombi HE32.

Does my problem sound to you like there is a blockage somewhere?

Thanks
Gilly

Hi,

Below is a photo of the pipework that comes from below the boiler. The tundish is full to the brim with water.

IMG_3198.jpg

Then in the cupboard to the right of that is the sink and this is the pipework there.

IMG_3203.jpg

That's about all I can take photos of as everything else is behind the cupboards.

Gilly

Hi,

Below is a photo of the pipework that comes from below the boiler. The tundish is full to the brim with water.

View attachment 28693

Then in the cupboard to the right of that is the sink and this is the pipework there.

View attachment 28694

That's about all I can take photos of as everything else is behind the cupboards.

Gilly

The tundish takes the condensate from boiler and will join with other waste pipes in property. At some point there will be a U bend or trap to prevent smells coming from tundish. This trap needs clearing so condensate will flow away.
Just seen photo. Need to take plinth off below kitchen unit to trace pipework where it disappears from view. Temporary fix: Cut out pipework below tundish either side of U bend and catch condensate in large plastic bucket,empty daily. Cut square and 100mm clear of joints so 32mm pipework can be reconnected using two straight compression couplings. Also allows for checking blockage in bend but I suspect problem is further downstream.

Last edited:
Your boiler should have its own condense trap, it looks like a clear trap hanging down from the bottom left of the boiler.

have you got a photo of this?

Thanks very much for the advice so far. We have cut off the bottom of the pipe under the tundish so at least it is now running into a bucket.

By the looks of things we will need to take out the whole kitchen unit and the one next to it in order to get the bottom of the cupboard up!

Ch4 - below is a photo of the bottom of my boiler, taken from below looking up. I hope this makes sense. There isn't anything hanging down from what I can see.

IMG_3209.jpg

Looks like I will need to call the professionals in!

Gilly

Cut out U bend 75mm up from where pipe disappears through bottom of cupboard and use spring drain rod,(Similar to net curtain spring), to attempt clearance of any down stream blockage. Remove plinth under cupboard and trace pipe run before removal of cupboards. Often pipe can be accessed from a more convenient point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tundish overflowing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello everyone. New to the forum and looking for assistance / advice. I live in a rented house with a not very co-operative landlord. I have just discovered that my bath overflow drain pipe is not connected as the flexible drain tube looks like it has been cut off at some point. After studying...
Replies
Views
For over a week the kitchen sink is leaking water from what I think is called tundish ( I thought is was called overflow but little google search maybe pointed me to the right name) my guess is the pipe is slightly blocked because this only happens when there is a huge amount of water coming...
Replies
Views
P
Hi, complete novice here. The other day we noticed a brown stain on the kitchen ceiling. We have an unvented hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard upstairs and when checking this, I noticed that every time the central heating is on, there are some drips of water coming from the nuts/bolts...
Replies
Views
We have a utility room with a washing machine but no sink. Wife wants sink. There is room to fit one and the waste will connect to wahing machine waste but the problem is in the water supply. Currently there is only hot and cold washing machine hose fitting isolators attached to very short...
Replies
Views
My family and I live in a bungalow, we have lived there for nearly five years. The property was built in 1964. I want to turn off the water supply so I can install a washing machine, the other place where we lived had modern fittings at the back of the washing machine to stop the water. We...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock