Search the forum,

Discuss Turbomax Starts Up When Cold Tap Turned Off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Vaillant Turbomax Plus combi of 2004 vintage. When a cold tap is used nothing happens to the boiler, but as soon as the cold tap is turned off, the boiler starts up for a short time. The hot water demand lights up and the fan (maybe also pump??) runs, but the boiler doesn't get as far as lighting (no burner lit light appears).

Do any of the experts know what causes this, and what the solution is? Thanks for any help.

Sounds like you need a shock arrestor fitting on the cold inlet to the boiler

Little test (on the cold tap that fires the boiler up)

Open a cold tap and let it run for a second or two and slowly close the tap does it fire the boiler up

You have a dead leg somewhere, most likely where the cylinder used to be.
You can bleed it, if you can find it but the best bet is to remove it

Thanks to both of you for your replies. Will try turning the cold tap off slowly when I get home.

Last Plumber>>> There was a cylinder in the cupboard upstairs years ago. Can't see any capped pipes in there, but I suppose it could be under the floor which will be a bit of a mare to get to. If there is possibly a dead leg that I can't find, would Shaun's suggestion of a shock arrestor on the cold inlet solve the problem?

Thanks to both of you for your replies. Will try turning the cold tap off slowly when I get home.

Last Plumber>>> There was a cylinder in the cupboard upstairs years ago. Can't see any capped pipes in there, but I suppose it could be under the floor which will be a bit of a mare to get to. If there is possibly a dead leg that I can't find, would Shaun's suggestion of a shock arrestor on the cold inlet solve the problem?

I would guess it's possible if the charge pressure was set lower than the compression you get in the dead leg but that is nigh on impossible to judge, apart from through trial and error. You could try it, you never know !
The dead leg would be on the hot side, probably on the pipe that used to come off the cylinder. I bet it's stop ended under the floor where the cylinder was.
If you do try Shaun's idea, let us know if it worked will you? Like Shaun said, if you do try that, fit it on the cold supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Turbomax Starts Up When Cold Tap Turned Off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
I have a Vaillant Turbomax with an F29 fault. When there is a demand for hot water the gas ignites initially, and the water is heated. However the gas then goes out and then comes back on (not sure if this is usual to control the water temp), it does this a few times but then the boiler fails to...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hello, I have a ferroli falcon 2 boiler (yes it is pretty old). A few days ago the hot water started going hot and cold when running. Monitoring the boiler, the demand light works fine. When the water gets up to temperature every 10 seconds or so, the boiler stops for a fraction of a second...
Replies
Views
Hi all We have a Vaillant turbomax plus 828e combi which we found powered off a few days ago. Turns out the 2a glass fuse on the PCB had gone. Replaced and it turns back on but as soon as you start the hot water or heating, it pops again within a few seconds I have looked as the pump and can...
Replies
Views
I am having a problem with my main 24he boiler where the flame is constantly clicking on and off with the heating and when using hot water. Some times the flame failure light comes on but it ignites again after a few seconds. The plumber has changed a couple of sensors on the boiler and checked...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock