Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss Turn hot water off from within Combi Boiler? in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Diy592

Diy592 New Member

Hi,

I have just moved into a new flat and was just removing the old kitchen and cannot turn off the hot water to the property. I can turn off the cold but not the hot, looks like the boiler (Worcester 28i junior) is being fed from the loft that I cannot access. Can the water be turned off from inside the boiler to the hot taps? There is no other valves/taps to stop the water on the hot pipes.

2. snowhead

snowhead Well-Known Member

Isn't there a valve on the cold into the boiler?

You should have access to the tank, if there is one.
    If the tank serves multiple properties there should be a valve where the cold pipe enters the property.

If there are several flats there may be a tank at ground floor / basement level with a boost bump.
    But there should still be a valve at entry point.

3. Diy592

Diy592 New Member

No cold pipe straight from loft into boiler.

4. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

there will be a valve underneath screwdriver flat under the boiler 2nd pipe from the right hand side

[​IMG]

5. Diy592

Diy592 New Member

Yes I seen this and the head is chewed up like it has been used alot I have added a picture?

IMG_2999[1].JPG

6. Diy592

Diy592 New Member

So if I turn this clockwise it will turn the hot taps off?

7. ShaunCorbs

yes normally best to get a decent set of pliers on the external flats saves damaging the slot

or just turn the water main off and fit a stop tap below the boiler on the cold

8. Diy592

Diy592 New Member

Thanks for this info, I would need to get into the loft to turn the feed off and this will probably turn the other 6 blocks off to. This was converted from a water tank I think.

IMG_3001[1].JPG

9. ShaunCorbs

hope you dont mind but i have a few questions

are you renting or have you bought the flat and are you planning on staying there long-term (5/10 years) ?

and you should know / have access to any stop taps in case of emergency

10. Diy592

Diy592 New Member

Bought and yes will be staying.

11. ShaunCorbs

Depending on funding I would be looking to change the boiler as soon as funds allow it

To guarantee hassle free heating and hot water in the future

12. Diy592

Diy592 New Member

Think the boilers about 10 years old, is this a known problematic boiler? I did notice there is no condensate pipe going outside?

13. ShaunCorbs

Be a bit older than that I think and yes it wasn't the best

Due to the efficiency it wasn't needed back then