Search the forum,

Discuss Turning off Hot Water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

benwmbc

My third thread of today... :)

I need to turn off both my cold and hot water to change some taps. From what I've read in a book I have, I have a unvented system and therefore turning the cold water off will turn off the hot water. From the picture below, I believe turning the valve where the arrow points would turn off the hot water, can anyone please confirm this? I'm assuming I would need to turn the main water supply coming into the house off to isolate the cold water to the taps, so could I just turn off this only to isolate both cold and hot? Thank you very much.

IMG_4249.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4248.jpg
    IMG_4248.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 40
Hi mate ,

I'd turn the mains stopcock bottom left hand site the brass coloured one off and open hot and cold water supply to let the rest water drain

Hi mate ,

I'd turn the mains stopcock off (bottom right hand site) the brass coloured one / and open hot and cold water taps to let the rest water drain

Last edited by a moderator:
You probably could close the water supply underneath the kitchen sink or basin ... most likely you will have some 15 mm chrome isolation valves ... if you put a flat head screwdriver in and turn it horizontal it should isolate without turning the mains water supply off

Turn off cold main and confirm isolation by opening cold tap at kitchen sink. Open hot tap and water will dribble to stop once pressure is released. If cold tap runs hot at kitchen sink before stopping your non return valves aren't working.

Thank you all, I shall just turn off the main incoming water supply under the kitchen sink. I believe turning off the boiler is also required, so I'll do this also.

Water in boiler completely separate and cylinder stat will cease call for DHW once temperature reached. Programme for central heating only if concerned.

Water in boiler completely separate and cylinder stat will cease call for DHW once temperature reached. Programme for central heating only if concerned.

Sorry I don't fully understand, are you saying I don't need to turn the boiler off? Thank you.

Sorry I don't fully understand, are you saying I don't need to turn the boiler off? Thank you.

Yes. The primary flow, ie water in boiler and rads,also circulates in coil, low in unvented cylinder. With boiler on for CH, 2 port valve on DHW pipework closes and prevents circulation through coil.

Last edited:
You do not need to turn the boiler off. If you got chrome 15mm isolation valves underneath the sink you can also isolate the water there without touching the mains stopcock.
I would turn them off and open the tap ( hot & cold ) let the rest water drain ... once no water is running you can then change the tap but you surely have a little rest water in the tap and pipes ... just take a rag, cloth or bowl to catch the rest water ...

If you don't have those isolation valves turn the mains supply off and do the same steps .. once no water runs from the taps you should be fine.

You do not need to turn the boiler off. If you got chrome 15mm isolation valves underneath the sink you can also isolate the water there without touching the mains stopcock.
I would turn them off and open the tap ( hot & cold ) let the rest water drain ... once no water is running you can then change the tap but you surely have a little rest water in the tap and pipes ... just take a rag, cloth or bowl to catch the rest water ...

If you don't have those isolation valves turn the mains supply off and do the same steps .. once no water runs from the taps you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Turning off Hot Water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock