Search the forum,

Discuss ufh under kitchen unit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

snoopy8888

Gas Engineer
search the web on this subject, getting both yes and no answers.
Hoping I can get an definite answers on here.

Where you are short of heat output, you can go under the units. But it's best not to, especially where you want to store food.

What the situation?

Are you having it installed or is it already installed?
Are you remodelling the kitchen?

If you're remodelling the kitchen then simply adhere some kingspan or similar product underneath the cabinets & fit some vents to the plinths to allow the heat to circulate into the room, If you're installing the UFH then why waste time, energy & money on extra meters of pipework etc. that's really unnecessary, & will give no benefit to the end user at all just heating a dead space.

Hi there,

when we design the system we never go for UFH under the kitchen units (as long as we know exactly where kitchen units will be).
In some cases when customers haven't got a final design of the kitchen they cover the whole area with pipework and then they use thin layer of insulation board underneath the cabinets.

Hope that helps.

Hi there,

when we design the system we never go for UFH under the kitchen units (as long as we know exactly where kitchen units will be).
In some cases when customers haven't got a final design of the kitchen they cover the whole area with pipework and then they use thin layer of insulation board underneath the cabinets.

Hope that helps.

Can you please explain why? (apart from the cost)

I thought that these system were more of less self regulating i.e. as the air temperature increases the heat flow from the thermal mass of the floor decreases.

If there is no heating of the thermal mass under sections of the floor isn't heat drawn away from those areas that are, reducing warm up time & possible effecting overall heat outputs?

Thanks Chris

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

Running the pipes under the kitchen units doesn't cause any problems as long as there's no food being stored in the kitchen units.

This is the main reason why most of companies don't recommend to install the UFH underneath the units.

I agree with the fact that colder screed will suck the heat from the warmer areas but's it's only for the initial heating up times.
If there's plenty of units within the kitchen we normally narrow the pipe spacing to 150mm which reduce the response time to provide a bit more output.

Regards

Many thanks for your input Uheat

I wish I had U/F under my kitchen units the plates are bliming freezing this time of year. :D

Just had a look at your Web site 32mm pipe haven't seen that before!!

That might come in handy for some of the larger jobs, what sort of heat loads can it supply at say 70/50?

Morning Chris,

32mm pipe is being used for general plumbing together with press or compression fittings.
We've never supplied 32mm pipe for the UFH, even for commercial jobs we've done 20mm pipe @ 300mm / 200mm centres depends on the project requirements.
I haven't even got any figures with outputs of 32mm pipe to give you honest answer.

Have a good day.

Morning Chris,

32mm pipe is being used for general plumbing together with press or compression fittings.
We've never supplied 32mm pipe for the UFH, even for commercial jobs we've done 20mm pipe @ 300mm / 200mm centres depends on the project requirements.
I haven't even got any figures with outputs of 32mm pipe to give you honest answer.

Have a good day.

I was thinking more about the distribution to manifolds etc rather than U/F circuits themselves, still handy to know.

Thanks anyway Chris

Ok, got you.

Pipe can work with pressure of 10bar and temperatures up to 95 deg.

Thanks,

Think he's on about how much heat it can carry eg 61000btu/ 18kw for 15mm etc

I have underfloor heating under a large kitchen island. I put the kitchen on chromed feet (no plinths) and the heat dissipates easily. The floor barely gets warm but heats the whole room. The only place you can feel a small measure of heat build up is under the dogs memory foam bed.

Good morning Chris Watkins and ShaunCorbs,

I'm sorry about the delay but the top man in technical @ Factory was away for a while.

Here's some details about 32m pipe and how much heat can it carry:

Temp. 90/70 80/60 70/50 70/55 60/50 55/45
d32x3 32000W 31000W 31000W 23000W 15000W 15000W

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to ufh under kitchen unit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock