Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss un vented silly question time in the Insurance for Plumbers area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiebrown424

eddiebrown424 GSR

Hi all,

I went to look at a job today which involved water spilling back over the tundish and subsequently flooding the downstairs flat. The flats are five stories high and has a communal 42mm downpipe that each flat feeds into before going into the underground carpark. The issue is that this pipe is full of limescale and as the tundish has an open end it is back filling. I have suggested replacing the pipe but it is a long run and have been asked to find another solution. We tried a sanisnake tono avail. would it be feasable to fill the pipe with a weak solution such as the stuff usd to de-scale a kettle and flush it out. To confuse matters the pipework inside the flats until it reches the riser cupboard is the reasponsibility of the landlords.

Thanks for any suggestions

Eddie

2. Ermintrude

Ermintrude Plumber GSR

Not really . You need to check the pipe sizes it's not really your job to find shortcuts is it. Do it right or forget it. Fact that it's full of scale means there has been one ore more poorly maintained cylinder . So solution would be service and make appropriate repairs and then install correct capacity hopper and pipework.

3. eddiebrown424

eddiebrown424 GSR

Hi thanks,

I have mentioned (the the management company) that these cylinders need a yearly service but our responsibility only lies with the communal side. I think it is a really poorly designed system where 6 discharge pipes are fed into one large communal pipe and it seems to be an issue in many of the blocks i look after. I personally feel that the best solution is to replace the whole pip as it has had its day....

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ermintrude

Ermintrude Plumber GSR

And the scale will mean you get more at scrapyard £££££££!££££££££!!!!!

5. eddiebrown424

eddiebrown424 GSR

Jobs a good un te he...

got it I will replace it with plastic pipe...

6. mountainman

mountainman Plumber GSR

Which part of this installation complies with the G3 regs?:-\

7. AWheating

AWheating Trusted Plumber GSR

prob best to speak to local BC before you go changing any of it to see what they will except.

8. chris watkins

chris watkins Plumber

Use a Ridged coring machine with a 'C' cutter, these can all be hired & if it is a vertical pipe it should only take a couple of passes. Send cable down from top to bottom fit cutter & pull back up maybe flush with a bit of water as you go ?
    [​IMG]If you replace in 40 or 50mm push fit plastic the problem is going to be clipping it ever 300mm down that riser duct as required by AD Part G3 isn't it ??

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ermintrude

Ermintrude Plumber GSR

That's one sexy bit of kit, it work well? Does it do horizontal also

10. chris watkins

chris watkins Plumber

It will do any direct you like, up down side ways, it has a power feed, just don't run it in reverse!! :hand:
    [​IMG]Sorry meant to say if you wanted more bite you could try this !!

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  11. eddiebrown424

eddiebrown424 GSR

hi thanks all.

I was going to suggest cpvc rather than barrier. Unvented in these large blocks is a freakin nightmare but i do like the idea of that coring machine....

eddie

12. Ermintrude

Ermintrude Plumber GSR

Chris how does it work is the wire top rotating?

13. chris watkins

chris watkins Plumber

Ridgid K-7500 Drain Cleaning Discussion and Demonstration - YouTube
    A video is worth a thousand word but in this case two or three K cos it is American, sorry.

Just watched it & think the K-7500 may be a bit O.T.T for his 42mm copper,LOL.
    They do small versions with similar actions & cutters.

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  14. chris watkins

chris watkins Plumber

Hi Eddie
    I don't think you would get away with PVC, it should be polypropylene pipe to BS 5254 or BS EN1451 the horizontal should be supported every 300mm.

I would check with your local BC office before doing any replacing.