Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Unusual radiator problem in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. hary_j

hary_j Member

Hi all,

Went to a job recently where the radiator balancing was completely out.

Initially the customer was complaining of 2 radiators not warming up, 1 garage conversion room and another was the master bedroom. I've adjusted every rad, closest being on minimal and so on. The garage conversion radiator had a lot of gunk within it when i was bleeding it, so being only 600x600 i pulled it off and blasted it with a hose pipe to clear and crap.

Two day's later i get a call from them stating the rad's have gone cold again, bedroom this time being midly warm and the garage conversion stone cold.

Any idea's what might be happening now?

The system does look like it's had a lot of chop/change + add 0n's, in its lifetime. There are a total of 15 rads on the entire system, 4 being at least 2000mm wide and double panels.

Boiler is a Baxi Mains platinum combi, around 4 years old.

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

pump size?
    boiler kw size?

• Like Like x 1
  3. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Microbore ??

4. steadyon

steadyon Active Member

I'd have a look at how they are piped. If they've added radiators and tee'd off the 15?mm feeds to other rads the pipework may not have the heat carrying capacity to heat all the radiators at once. If the weather gets cold and they turn on extra radiators (or up the TRVs) they might be robbing the two you are concerned with.

5. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Sounds like micro. Dodgy piping or is pump on way out.

6. hary_j

hary_j Member

33kw boiler not sure of pump size,

7. hary_j

hary_j Member

As far as i can see its 22mm, cascading down to 15mm as usual

8. hary_j

hary_j Member

problem is, the loft bedrooms are all under acoustic chipboards, ground floor is all under either tiling or solid wood flooring, 2 rooms are only carpetted, therefore i cant lift to see the piping layout

9. hary_j

hary_j Member

I was thinking about the expansion vessel and or pump, either add another expansion vessel or secondary pump.?? :(

10. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Expansion vessel issue can't really stop the heating working, so not that.
    Pump can be failing or clogged inside, or some crud is moving about system and blocking lockshield rad valves that are closed nearly off

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber Top Contributor!!

But if the OP has balanced the system, presumably he did it with all TRVs fully open, and so has already verified that the system works with all radiators on?

12. Dkdc71

Dkdc71 Member

Run system turn off working rads drop last rad and drain from pipework see can you get any dirt from pipework or heat through will eliminate if pump getting to last rads or if its gone