Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented cylinder D2 pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

finchy01

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Morning all. I'm quoting for a conversion from vented to unvented (I'm g3) a d the customer has said that she has been told that the d2 can go into normal waste pipe with a special connection. I was under the Impression that D2 pipe should be of copper material to the outside of the property terminating either high level or very low. Does anyone know if what she wants is allowed and what restrictio s or connections are needed? I'm guessing if it's ok, just a gr1 clamp into waste pipe would suffice with a "lady part" trap before it enters waste run.

Morning all. I'm quoting for a conversion from vented to unvented (I'm g3) a d the customer has said that she has been told that the d2 can go into normal waste pipe with a special connection. I was under the Impression that D2 pipe should be of copper material to the outside of the property terminating either high level or very low. Does anyone know if what she wants is allowed and what restrictio s or connections are needed? I'm guessing if it's ok, just a gr1 clamp into waste pipe would suffice with a "lady part" trap before it enters waste run.
Read this Link
From Page 23

yes hotun but it does have a lot of detractors who say it doesnt do the job, never used one so i cant say if it does or doesn't

yes hotun but it does have a lot of detractors who say it doesnt do the job, never used one so i cant say if it does or doesn't

There correct only does upto 18lpm which isn't unvented regs

Over 18lpm it spills over the edge / tundish

There correct only does upto 18lpm which isn't unvented regs

Over 18lpm it spills over the edge / tundish
Ok. So standard 40th dish through a hep vo trap i to 32mm then straight I to the stack seems to be ok. Thank you all.

Ok. So standard 40th dish through a hep vo trap i to 32mm then straight I to the stack seems to be ok. Thank you all.

Correct push fit waste if your doing it first fix install 11/2 push fit clipped ott

They put a handy diagram in the hepvo packaging
You may need the tundish adapter as well

Now a few facts.
  • hotun has a number of models
  • which should be fitted, depends entirely upon its application
  • hotun is the ONLY drytrap tundish which is endorsed by boiler manufacturers
  • hotun is NOT suitable for all applications (but neither is ANY such device)
  • hotun is the only such device which helps in diagnosing discharge problems
How do I know? I've used them. Lots of them. I have NEVER had a problem with one overflowing because in real life, NO discharge control device ever works the way some social media 'people' try to portray.

If anyone wants to learn more about hotun drop me a DM and I'll give you the MD's name and number. He is only too happy to give everyone totally honest advice on its application. You might even get one to trial if you tell him I sent you ;)

]Now a few facts.
  • hotun has a number of models
Yea due to the amount of fails / problems they've had eg there high flow one being redesigned to increase the flow rate limit
  • hotun is the ONLY drytrap tundish which is endorsed by boiler manufacturers
Manufacturers haven't tested it, if you read the blurb it says it won't interfere with any of our products

Also define dry trap, fanny trap and tundish does the same job
  • hotun is the only such device which helps in diagnosing discharge problem
Really ? Any tundish will do this :D

Also all there tundishs are tested with non restrictions eg no bends / elbows just straight pipe

Ahh so glad you could give us the 'inside track' Shaun. Just a shame it lacks a few pertinent points.

Patently you have made up your mind. That is fine. It's just a shame that bias of one form or another is clouding your ability to advise others.

I'll answer your points if I may.

1 - hotun had different models from day one.
2 - like every new product development continues no matter what. That some stuff went down is well known. Whether that influenced development only its MD can answer. To 'decide' here and now based upon nothing more than supposition is at best flawed.
3 - once again I am so pleased you are able to give us the benefit of your in depth and confidential communications with manufacturers. It's just a shame you didn't speak to those actually involved. I KNOW they have tested it, I've seen the videos.
4 - ahh I forgot. You are endowed with super powers. The diagnosis I refer to is where a slight discharge happens. With all others they often dry out as each drip runs past where it can be seen/felt. Due to hotun's design that gets caught and pools until there is enough to load the spring and let it pass.

Please enlighten me Shaun. Are you telling us here that nearly 100,000 buyers of hotun are stupid? Are you telling us that 4000 (growing) people per month are incompetent? Are you telling us here that PlumbCentre, Plumbase, Travis Perkins, Grahams and just about every other merchant in the UK are idiots too?

Oh and lastly, before you ban me from this forum for ever, are you telling me that the UK's NSF testing house (WRAS etc) are idiots and can't do their job? Obviously they must be as they have passed hotun for both WRAS and flow rates under frankly ludicrous fault conditions.

One a personal level, I am shocked by your behaviour here. I expected more of a person responsible for such a well run and objective site offering advice and guidance. Whilst we all have our 'pets', one has to walk the walk when you're the boss.

What I 'loved' about this site was the give and take. To help one minute and learn the next. It was nice knowing you all.

I'm out.

Ahh so glad you could give us the 'inside track' Shaun. Just a shame it lacks a few pertinent points.

Patently you have made up your mind. That is fine. It's just a shame that bias of one form or another is clouding your ability to advise others.

I'll answer your points if I may.

1 - hotun had different models from day one.
2 - like every new product development continues no matter what. That some stuff went down is well known. Whether that influenced development only its MD can answer. To 'decide' here and now based upon nothing more than supposition is at best flawed.
3 - once again I am so pleased you are able to give us the benefit of your in depth and confidential communications with manufacturers. It's just a shame you didn't speak to those actually involved. I KNOW they have tested it, I've seen the videos.
4 - ahh I forgot. You are endowed with super powers. The diagnosis I refer to is where a slight discharge happens. With all others they often dry out as each drip runs past where it can be seen/felt. Due to hotun's design that gets caught and pools until there is enough to load the spring and let it pass.

Please enlighten me Shaun. Are you telling us here that nearly 100,000 buyers of hotun are stupid? Are you telling us that 4000 (growing) people per month are incompetent? Are you telling us here that PlumbCentre, Plumbase, Travis Perkins, Grahams and just about every other merchant in the UK are idiots too?

Oh and lastly, before you ban me from this forum for ever, are you telling me that the UK's NSF testing house (WRAS etc) are idiots and can't do their job? Obviously they must be as they have passed hotun for both WRAS and flow rates under frankly ludicrous fault conditions.

One a personal level, I am shocked by your behaviour here. I expected more of a person responsible for such a well run and objective site offering advice and guidance. Whilst we all have our 'pets', one has to walk the walk when you're the boss.

I was one of the people who told him I had problems of it overflowing on an unvented cylinder also had another one (his standard tundish for boilers etc) the diaphragm wouldn't let go / empty the tundish turned out the washer was stuck

Your more than welcome to address my points

Fair enough but what got me is they released there high flow version and after all the people saying it's not good for anything over 20lpm they say there's a new version in production with a higher flow rated cability

Why not say sorry our existing high flow we feel isn't upto the demands of high flow rate mains etc anyone that is having problems with the original high flow contact me for a replacement/ redesigned one

Think you will find there arnt videos of baxi Ideal testing them only Worcester

The issue I have with this video is within the first 10 seconds look how high the water comes and spills over a few drops

Don't know how to answer this question

Where did I call anyone stupid / say you are if you buy one ????

Read the reports there only tested to 20lpm

Unvented systems only start at 20lpm

https://hotun.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/180199-rev1-summary-report.pdf

Also why would I even think of banning anyone for disagreeing with me / having a conversation with me (since I agreed to be a mod I haven't banned anyone)

I'm truly hurt you would think I act / am like that

What I 'loved' about this site was the give and take. To help one minute and learn the next. It was nice knowing you all.

I'm out.

Can't we have a conversation about any problems each other we have had with products,

How do we get improvements to products if we don't have faults / isn't brought to attention

Shaun. I've just spoken to Russell Armstrong who is hotun's inventor and MD.

He has now applied to join UKPF and is very happy to join in here to be dead straight with everyone on ANY question.

Your move.

Shaun. I've just spoken to Russell Armstrong who is hotun's inventor and MD.

He has now applied to join UKPF and is very happy to join in here to be dead straight with everyone on ANY question.

Your move.

hes already a member

@iiplumbing

Last edited:
The hot tun guy has been on this site for dinkey years.

As for running to waste, you can but really you should only do this as a last resort. Unless you can prove the waste system can handle the temps you can't use it. Quite hard on existing waste.

Best to terminate outside drop a Aly hopper and rwp on if high level

Thank you all for your input. I wonder, as it is all original waste boxed in. Where would I stand if the customer insists and I say on my invoice something like "unable to confirm waste run is suitable, advised to terminate D2 run externally but customer insisted on termination into stack". I can't imagine I would have a leg to stand on as I'm the competent person so I should insist on not doing it. What do we think?

I would terminate into the stack no problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unvented cylinder D2 pipework in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys, just want to get advice, i want to replace venten to unvented cylinder, is it ok to install D2 pipe to toilet waste pipe see picture? as there is no easy options to get it outside.
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a 300L unvented indirect cylinder to work with a standard heat only boiler. I may have solar panels in the future, but likely the PV kind rather than the thermal kind, and won't be having heat pump in the future. So the cylinder would be connected to the boiler at...
Replies
Views
Hi guys not sure anyone has encountered this before but I have a job where the inside wall has been getting a little damp, there was a step up to the door that I think wasn't helping due to dpc but that was removed to take a closer look and it revealed 2 waste water pipes going into the patio...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on how to proceed with my current situation. We bought a new build and after getting my boiler and unvented cylinder serviced my plumber raised the fact that he estimates the D2 discharge pipe to have a resistance flow length on 12m and as it's 22mm copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi All I found this forum quite by chance this afternoon whilst looking for an answer to a plumbing question that I have following a rebuild of an annexe at our house. The annexe has a small ensuite containing a shower, washand basin and WC. The builder completed the work just prior to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock