Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Unvented cylinder - direct or indirect in the New Member Introductions area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. John Adam

John Adam New Member

I have differing hot and cold water pressure with my current vented water system so the new mixer tap in the bathroom won't work properly. My plumber advises I convert to an unvented cylinder set up. He also recommends I use a direct cylinder even though I've got gas central heating system. This doesn't make sense to me given gas is a third cheaper than electricity at the moment. Can anyone advise?

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Do you know what boiler set up you have ?

And do you have zone valves ?

3. John Adam

John Adam New Member

I have an Ideal ICOS boiler that heats the water in the cylinder in the airing cupboard.

Don't know what zone valves are, I'm afraid. Am a complete novice at this kind of thing.

4. ShaunCorbs

Yea that's fine and it's not a gravity system the only reason why you couldn't connect the unvented cylinder to the heating circuits

Don't see why you couldn't, I would ask your installer why he doesn't think / want to connect the unvented cylinder to the heating circuits

5. John Adam

John Adam New Member

Ok, Thanks. The cold water pressure is massively stronger than the hot in the current vented system because the cold water tank is on the same floor as the hot water cylinder, just above it height-wise (instead of being in the loft). In switching to an unvented system will I get the same much stronger pressure in the hot as I do with the cold?

6. ShaunCorbs

You will get the same as your cold main is at

7. John Adam

John Adam New Member

Thanks for your help