Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented cylinder fuse blown? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wickywills

Hello,

A couple of weeks ago I called out a plumber to change a thermostat since the bottom one (Economy 7) wasn't working. Unfortunately the change hasn't worked and since then (due to cost of calling in the plumber again to sort), I have been using the "Peak" switch for an hour a day to get hot water.

After turning on the Peak switch tonight, there was a loud bang at the switch and now it won't work! I can't see anywhere to change a fuse, and now there is no hot water!

Any ideas what has happened and what will likely need to be done? I just want to get a rough idea before I call a plumber in.

Many thanks
James

IMG_0284-compressor.jpg

Could be the immersion heater elements gone, but that is just a guess, as it is sometimes thermostats, or the switches can go faulty.
I find it is nearly always the element gone and that means entire new immersions (they come complete with a thermostat).
You need immersions recommended by the cylinder manufacturer and a plumber who is G3 qualified on unvented cylinders to do the work.
Don't mess around with the electrics yourself as it needs an expert. I have just replaced a faulty immersion for a customer, but because I checked the wiring with a multi meter I also discovered the switch on wall was faulty and wasn't switching the live wire off!

Last edited:
A reputable plumber would want you to call them back if their original work hadn't resolved the problem you employed them to fix. You should not expect to be charged a 'call out' fee in such circumstances and in many cases they should stick to the original estimate/quote.

A good reputation is worth a *lot* more to a plumber than spending a hour or so fixing up a minor issue. They should, and probably will, jump at the chance to convert an unhappy customer into a happy one.

Last edited:
Thanks both for the information. I wasn't intending to carry out any of the work myself - was just after a rough idea so that I can plan for costs etc. I will be getting in touch with the same plumber that fitted the thermostat. I suppose the only issue is that he will likely say that it was fitted correctly but the part is faulty, leading me into another cost to get a new one!

Going to be an expensive couple of months :(

Thanks both for the information. I wasn't intending to carry out any of the work myself - was just after a rough idea so that I can plan for costs etc. I will be getting in touch with the same plumber that fitted the thermostat. I suppose the only issue is that he will likely say that it was fitted correctly but the part is faulty, leading me into another cost to get a new one!

Going to be an expensive couple of months :(
If you supplied the part then yes it is up to you however he if supplied the part then the onus is on him to replace it FOC.

A rather odd development - the peak switch (which went pop and tripped!), still seems to be working. A plumber just came round to take a look and has since gone away to check costs and provide an estimate, switched everything on (peak and off-peak switches), and even though the light on the Peak switch doesn't come on, the water heats up! Is this safe!? I just want to get an idea as to what's happening before I shell out a load of money for something which doesn't need to be done.

If it's going to be the cost of replacing a switch to get Peak working, then I'd be happy with that for the time being even though the Off-peak doesn't currently work.

... even though the light on the Peak switch doesn't come on, the water heats up! Is this safe!?

The neon indicators traditionally used in such switches do get very dim or stop working completely after a few years of use. Won't affect whether the switch is connecting power to the heater or not. Personally, I prefer the designs with a red strip on the switch rocker. These work forever.

The neon indicators traditionally used in such switches do get very dim or stop working completely after a few years of use. Won't affect whether the switch is connecting power to the heater or not. Personally, I prefer the designs with a red strip on the switch rocker. These work forever.

Thanks for the info Chuck, the bit that concerned me was the bang from it when I turned it on the other day, yet it still works!

the bit that concerned me was the bang from it when I turned it on the other day, yet it still works!

Any domestic electrical equipment that goes 'bang' needs to be assumed to be faulty and be investigated by a competent person. They will check the operating power and leakage current of the immersion heater and connecting cables, etc. and the condition of the switch and advise you based on their measurements.

No one can tell you what's wrong with your system or whether it's safe without inspecting it. You've done the right thing by getting a plumber in.

To be fair really you need a sparky unless the immersion has gone

Ok, the plumber has been and gone, and replaced the Peak switch (which previously went bang), and has given a quote of £250 to replace the bottom immersion. I'm going to get a few quotes, but if that's what needs doing, then I'll have to get it sorted.

One final question (hopefully), what is this for (black bit with visible water in pic)? Excuse my lack of plumbing knowledge, but the plumber came round and stated that it is quicker to leave it on the Peak for now rather than turning it on and off, and since he came round 3 hours ago, this pipe thing has constantly been running water. Is that normal?

IMG_1706.JPG

No that's not normal and does it stop if you turn the heaters off ?

No that's not normal and does it stop if you turn the heaters off ?

I just messaged the plumber about it and he immediately phoned and also said to turn off the heater switch, and yes, it has stopped. He's going to come round and have another look - I'm just scared of these constant callouts and possible costs to sort!

I just messaged the plumber about it and he immediately phoned and also said to turn off the heater switch, and yes, it has stopped. He's going to come round and have another look - I'm just scared of these constant callouts and possible costs to sort!

TBH he should of stayed with it to make sure it was working as expected would expect the next call out to be free tbh

TBH he should of stayed with it to make sure it was working as expected would expect the next call out to be free tbh
I agree - I will be putting that to him when he comes round tomorrow. Just to say though, that I really do appreciate the help and advice here. For a complete novice like myself, I've learnt a lot here! Will see what the plumber says tomorrow..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unvented cylinder fuse blown? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock