Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented Cylinder - Tundish Leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Would anyone be able to advise the likely cause of the tundish overflowing on my unvented cylinder please?

Firstly, if your unvented unit is discharging water, then it needs serviced by an unvented qualified plumber.
The tundishs can often let some water out onto floor. If they are letting a lot of water out, then the discharge pipe might be too small, or blocked, or pipe end down into a blocked gulley.

Best to get it checked out by a unvented qualified person (G3 registered)

Last year the same thing happened and they installed a bigger tundish. It’s now occurred again.

Any chance of a pic of what they've done ?

This was replaced.

50CA9507-B6F5-456F-BC0B-D8A9CE9DA011.jpeg

There shouldn’t be any water going into tundish, so you have a fault with your unvented cylinder, or it’s controls or pipework.
You might also have something wrong with the discharge pipe, but get your unvented unit serviced - has to be done once a year.
Edit, - Harvest beat me to it.

There shouldn’t be any water going into tundish, so you have a fault with your unvented cylinder, or it’s controls or pipework.
You might also have something wrong with the discharge pipe, but get your unvented unit serviced - has to be done once a year.
Edit, - Harvest beat me to it.
Makes a change:p

Your statement about them changing the tundish screams at me they have ZERO idea.

Unf many engineers think they are competent to work on UVCs. However, without doing the courses they simply cannot know enough and certainly not understand them intimately enough to fault find.

Ask to see your engineers G3 ticket. If they cannot provide move on to someone who can. Sorry, but safety & pragmatism must take precedence over ÂŁ.

There are a number of potential causes. Some far more serious than others. It really does need looking at properly and by a G3 qualified person with at least 18mths under their belt. Hell, every a school day for me...

Good luck and pls let us know how you fair.

Your statement about them changing the tundish screams at me they have ZERO idea.

Unf many engineers think they are competent to work on UVCs. However, without doing the courses they simply cannot know enough and certainly not understand them intimately enough to fault find.

Ask to see your engineers G3 ticket. If they cannot provide move on to someone who can. Sorry, but safety & pragmatism must take precedence over ÂŁ.

There are a number of potential causes. Some far more serious than others. It really does need looking at properly and by a G3 qualified person with at least 18mths under their belt. Hell, every a school day for me...

Good luck and pls let us know how you fair.

Thanks you

Just realised. In the image you posted is the pipe into the top of the tundish the same size as the one out of the bottom? 15mm? If so that further reinforces my earlier assertion of whoever did it not being G3 qualified and not knowing the UVCs.

It is a core requirement for the lower pipe to be at least one size up from the one going into the top. So, if 15mm into top then 22mm out of bottom. If 22mm into top then 28mm our from bottom.

This size mismatch MAY be a cause of the overflowing out of the dish, BUT more importantly, it should not be running in the first place so needs some form of remedial action.

For the 3rd time in 18 months I have a small leak appearing on the ceiling under my unvented cylinder.

Last time this happened was in March and I was told this was as a result of the air gap needing replenishing which the plumber did for me at the time. It was previously done in November last year during the systems first service.

It is normal for the air gap to need replenishing every 4 or 5 months please?

For the 3rd time in 18 months I have a small leak appearing on the ceiling under my unvented cylinder.

Last time this happened was in March and I was told this was as a result of the air gap needing replenishing which the plumber did for me at the time. It was previously done in November last year during the systems first service.

It is normal for the air gap to need replenishing every 4 or 5 months please?

If you are having to keep topping up the air gap, you could get your G3 qualified plumber to install an external suitable expansion vessel

Reply to Unvented Cylinder - Tundish Leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Fitted unvented hotwater cylinder building control looking forms signed it off job was in england i am qualified northern ireland send out a form to fill in what do u need to sign off in england as building control said they dont give out forms like they do in northern ireland
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Does anyone know a good, not super expensive, leak detection company in the London area?
Replies
Views
Has anyone one fit or serviced one of these before; Heatrae Sadia 25l 9004010. It a 25 litre hot water storage cylinder.
Replies
Views
I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock