Search the forum,

Discuss unvented cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aladin

bit of a delema

which unvented cylinder would you recomend hooked up with a combi

All comes down to cost. Telford ( cheap) Megaflo (expensive). The more you pay the less extras you need i.e copper to irons.

it does not really matter that the boiler is a combi, its just what unvented cylinder you want really.

All comes down to cost. Telford ( cheap) Megaflo (expensive). The more you pay the less extras you need i.e copper to irons.

I've fitted a vaillant cylinder that come with no connections and cheapo ones that do

Personally I would fit one of the cheapest ones, the parts seem to last the same time. Spend the money elsewhere.

thanks all
true manu,s are cutting back on fittings telfords the one i think

fiited a fair few of the range tribune cylinders, might be worth a look OP

I've also fitted a lot of the range tribune, decent for the price

Fitted 5 in the last 12 months.

1 x Telford Tempest
Pros: cheap, good customer service from Telford, manufactured in UK, looks decent.
Cons: Awful flimsy cylinder stat that loosely fits into the pocket, easilly gets damaged and 10-15 degrees different to the hot water than comes out the tap, so they have to be set at around 45 or they'll get scolding hot water.
Doesn't come with drain off or female iron to copper fittings. Have to screw the immersions in yourself too which the seals arn't great and cap off the secondary return.

1 x Telford Tornado
Pros: As above but with expansion vessel screwed into top and hidden in case which saves space and looks tidier.
Cons: As above.

1 x Megaflo.
Pros: Everything! The best performance, quality and efficiency in my opinion, hot water was almost bouncing out of the bath and way more powerful than the cold, their integral air gap seems to boost the flow more. Their stats say it all, capable of the highest flow rates of any unvented cylinders I have seen.
Also comes on feet, immersion heaters and cylinder stats fully enclosed so highly efficient and looks the part, comes with all the connections and a drain off too.
Cons: Price, only for those who want the best and willing to pay for it. Size, like with all clyinders with built in vessels or air gaps this takes up height and hot water capacity, they are also slightly wider than most too with no slim models available.

1 x Oso Super S
Pros: looks phenomenal! Very neat pipework too as all connections point out to the back, 2 small expansions vessels fit into the lid, immersions and cylinder stat enclosed in the case.
Cons: Only the price, which isn't as much as a Megaflo.

1 x Center Store
Pros: Price! The cheapest I have found and far superior quality to the Telfords, comes on feet and with immersions and cylinder stat ready fitted and enclosed like the more expensive branded cylinders.
Cons: Looks! Next time I do one I am seriously having another sticker made with my own logo on it to go over the silly looking Center Store one. Also the threads are not good for the 22mm nut and olives that they come with and were difficult to start, even says in the instructions that female iron fittings with ptfe would be better.

Conclusion:
If money no object then I'd go for Megaflo.
If you want the neatest installation I'd go with Oso.
If you want the best Value I'd go for a Center Store if you can bare the cheap looks.

I don't think I'll quote for a Telford again, I may try a Gledhill or Albion next time I want a mid priced one, the look of the Center store is hard to swallow, infact you could go for a Santon which are the same but don't look much better for the extra cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
keep the combi its not a problem, ive run the hot water to the kitchen via the combi before, then fitted two motorised valves to control the heating and the unvented cylinder which feed the upstairs bathrooms, but for me i always try and fit a megaflo if the customer will pay.

Fitted a few albion ultrasteels 300l their nice ! Not had any problems with them ! The reason we stopped using megaflows was to do with the hot water return ! It was wearing out the elemants in some of the restaurants and when we rang up megaflow they said they dont like hot water returns as it doesnt give the element time to cool etc ! So went to albion and they where fine with it ! Not had any problems since !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to unvented cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Do most composite valves now for unvented cylinders have a tee on them For the expansion valve connection? The ones I used to fit just had the balanced cold connection coming of it. Them I tee'd off downstream of the composite valve for the expansion
Replies
Views
P
Hi my daughters Ariston Cylinder has started to leak around the Emersion heater. She has never used the emersion heater so I was wondering if there was anyway to take it our and fil the hole with a blank? Or if anyone knows where to find an Ariston cylinder 150L unvented??
Replies
Views
Just looking at getting an unvented cylinder. Screwfix do an RM cylinder called Prostel. Anybody had experience with these. £830 for 250l horizontal.
Replies
Views
Hi, According to the regs, can I (homeowner/DIY-er) drain and refill an unvented cylinder myself, or does that require a plumber with G3 cert? Cheers
Replies
Views
Hi all, looking for some recommendations for a slimline indirect unvented cylinder to go with a new system boiler that we're having installed soon. Only need around 120/125 ltr for our usage and could possibly make do with 100. Been looking at a few different brands including the Megaflo which...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock