Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented heating system, unusual boiler fault in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Pauld1962

DiddlyP
Called to a customer today and the system boiler keeps repressurising on its own ... After I dropped out all the pressure I watched as it refilled ... The filling loop was disconnected at the time ... Customer reports that it's never done it before ... The only way I could stop it was to turn off the cold mains ... !! ... Any help appreciated ..

Combi boiler ?

Can only be from where the mains & heating water are separated by a connection or surface which is leaking.
System boiler = coil on unvented cylinder
Combi boiler = plate heat ex

It's an old system boiler Vaillant thermocompact vu 282/1e ... Unvented cylinder ... Is there a test for split coil and what causes it ... They use the immersion most of the time as solar power is available ..

I isolated the F&R at the boiler at 1.5bar and it held ...... Once the return was opened the pressure rose immediately and water meter was turning over ...

Drain & valve off cylinder coil in that way they can still use the immersion or Solar for domestic hot water.
The heating system pressure should stop rising. If so it is the coil & you will have to order a new cylinder.

I isolated the F&R at the boiler at 1.5bar and it held .. Once the return was opened the pressure rose immediately and water meter was turning over .

Probably cylinder coil gone then.
Is it a copper unvented cylinder, or stainless steel?
If you are not G3 qualified, just be aware if no isolating valve on mains supply to unvented cylinder, then only install one BEFORE the combination valve. (Between the combination valve and cylinder must not have any valve)

Thanks for all your input / answers guys I am going to call back to the customer and inform him ... That'll be fun ...!! .... Thanks again gents ...

Reply to Unvented heating system, unusual boiler fault in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock