Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented water boiler help needed with flowing tundish in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dclark

Hi all,

I apologies in advance for what might become a long post, and for my inaccuracies in any naming terms, and lastly, for my complete lack of knowledge of anything plumbing related.

Background:
I live in a three story townhouse, and I have recently spotted a sizable water stain mark on my living room ceiling (ground floor). Directly above is a family bathroom, and next to that is the hot water tank/cylinder.

Initial inspection:

Plumber 1 - pointed out that there is a constant flow of water running through the tundish. Suggested that the problem lies with the 3 bar pressure valve, and showed me what happens to the tundish when turning the 5 bar pressure valve. Basically the water splutters out of the tundish, and trickles down the pipe work. He quoted me between 150-180 pounds for the part, and then 90 pounds for the labour. As I was a little taken aback by the price I did a quick search and found that these valves are nowhere near the price quoted (although I appreciate that I didn't look at the actual part needed so I could well be wrong). Labour costs, I have no idea but I suspect that's on the high side for what would be (I suspect) no more than a couple hours of work.

Plumber 2 - was a little more thorough in her investigation and suggested the leakage on the living room ceiling (ground floor) may not be a result of the water tank. She noted that the cause could well be from a drainage problems with my ensuite shower room (top floor). She suggested that we take the time to remove the sealant from the shower basis, and do a thorough investigation of the shower unit. In the meantime, she then suggested that we may actually have two issues at hand.
1. The leakage causing the water stain on the ceiling,
2. The constant flow of water through the tundish.

Whilst I'm happy to investigate point 1 further by checking the shower unit etc, I'm a little confused on what to believe regarding the tundush issue. Plumber 2 couldn't isolate the issue, but suggested a number of potential causes:
1. That it may be a faulty 3 bar and/or 5 bar pressure valve, although this would be unlikely if there has not been any water dripping from the respective valves.
2. The Expansion tank could be at fault. She was saying there is a diaphragm contained within that might have a puncture.

To clarify, the tundish has a constant flow of cold water running through it, not hot water as per some the other threads I have been reading on the forums. I have no problem with water pressure, and no problems with running hot water.

Could someone please provide some other checks I could undertake to help identify what the cause of issue might be? I'm at a loss and not sure which plumber to believe. I will no doubt have another plumber come and check for a third opinion.

I know it's difficult to answer without knowing what the potential issue actually is, but could someone give me a steer on what costs might be involved. Parts I understand can vary in cost, but what should I expect regarding labour costs? (FYI, I live in Hertfordshire)

Many many thanks in advance.

Doug
ps. My tank is a Titan Plastech Flomaster, 150/200 litres (I can't remember which)

Welcome,

If the water is cold then it sounds to me like your composite/pressure relief valve (not your PRV) is letting by for whatever reason. Did either of the plumbers hold a valid G3 certificate?

Where abouts in Hertfordshire are you based? I'd get someone off here to have a look as it sounds like you have a problem which should be addresses sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Welcome,

If the water is cold then it sounds to me like your composite/pressure relief valve (not your PRV) is letting by for whatever reason. Did either of the plumbers hold a valid G3 certificate?

Where abouts in Hertfordshire are you based? I'd get someone off here to have a look as it sounds like you have a problem which should be addresses sooner rather than later.

Hi Howsie,

I'm in Hemel Hempstead.

With regards to the plumbers having a G3 certificate, I'm not 100% certain. To be honest, it was only whilst reading the forums after posting my job on Ratedpeople.co.uk that I realised I should have requested to see this certificated. I will certainly update this requirement when I try to get another plumber to come around.

Thanks

Doug

Hi Doug & welcome to the forum,

Building Regulation Part G state that only competent person's can work on these (un-vent hot water) systems. To show competency a person must hold a Part G / un-vent ticket. We therefore can not provide advice that would encourage you to break the Law by working on your cylinder.
Did either of the plumbers you ask hold this ticket ? It is likely they did not from your information, can I suggest that the next one you seek to employ does posses it & you ask to see it (normally it is a card). They should easily be able to find what is causing the safety valve to discharge & provide a quotation to carry out the repairs which should be competed sooner rather than later.
Regarding labour charges these are driven mainly by market forces but £90 for a repair is about what we charge.

parts have to be manufacturer specified and they charge more for the pleasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unvented water boiler help needed with flowing tundish in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock