Search the forum,

Discuss Upgrade from 15mm to 22mm worthwhile? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A present I have a 25mm MDPE main pipe to stopcock. From here it reduces down to 15mm copper pipework.

This 15mm copper pipework then splits into 2 x 15mm copper pipes, 1 pipe feeding the cold mains and 1 pipe feeding the unvented combi boiler.

Is there any benefit in upgrading the front part of the system to 22mm? so 22mm from the stopcock to a 22x15x15 tee to the cold/combi?.

This originally came about after looking into fitting a pressurised accumulator and needing a 22mm upgrade anyway. I'm just wondering if the 22mm upgrade would make any difference to flow rates on its own without the accumulator?

example: shower on and someone then opens a cold tap, would there still be sufficient flow at the 22mm tee that the flow to the combi doesn't reduce?

Hope that makes sense, I'm clearly no plumber, but i'm not lacking in enthusiasm or determination to have a go at something.

It's worth a try but I don't think you will gain that much more

By increasing pipe size you reduce frictional resistance. However if say the proposed 22mm is only 1m in length the flow rate increase would be minimal. But if the length of 15 mm too the tee was say 10 m the flow rate when 22mm is employed would be a marked increase. As well as pipe length elbow and valves etc have an effect (more friction)
To calculate discharge from a pipe try Box pipe sizing formula it will give you idea of how Effective length, Diameter, Head and flow rate all are combined to give an effect/answer.
Pipe sizing is one of the most important parts of plumbing but overlooked by most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Upgrade from 15mm to 22mm worthwhile? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock