Search the forum,

Discuss Variations in methods. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being at a loose end I decided to watch a few "youtube" videos of how to solder an end feed fitting. To the uninitiated could seem a minefield. Some say just put the flux on the pipe, others on pipe and inside the fitting. Then we have those who just put the flame on one side of the fitting and apply the solder to the opposite side only, as opposed to those who run the solder all the way around the fitting. Amongst all the methods somewhere there is the ideal arrangement, hopefully.

I do

Clean both the pipe and fittings
Flux the pipe only
Insert pipe into fitting
Wipe excess flux that has come out with a rag
Heat the fitting at the end / other side of the socket so the heat draws the solder around
And dab the solder in the opersite end to the flame

Interesting as being a DIYer have always fluxed pipe and fitting and run solder all around the joint. Will try your method next time, and if it leaks is all your fault.:rolleyes:

Interesting as being a DIYer have always fluxed pipe and fitting and run solder all around the joint. Will try your method next time, and if it leaks is all your fault.:rolleyes:

:D

Will only leak if you don't follow my steps or get the fitting too hot yes that's a thing

It is most important to get the solder into the fitting before you risk overheating the joint. Once the joint inside and at edge is tarnished, the solder won't join to the copper.
I do tend to heat opposite sides of fittings and use the solder all round the joint, but it really is just the way we get into habits.

I tend to put a small amount on both then heat all around then dab on the solder. A clean rag is a must

Depends on the size. I do like Shaun,on 15 and 22. But one above I flux both and run solder round.

Or just use press fit

I always clean the pipe and fitting and apply flux only to the pipe with a twisting motion as you join them together heat with a no more heat than is needed to melt the solder and achieve a good joint wipe with a clean cloth . cheers kop

Whatever happend to those Yorkshire capillary fittings that came with a ring of solder already in them? Take it nobody uses them any more....

Yes mate but massively expensive.

Those that do use the integral solder ring fittings (AKA Yorkshire) always seem to add some extra solder to the fittings which then negates the whole purpose of the ISR fitting, at which point you might as well save some money and buy end feed fittings. It's one of my pet hates!

I've never added extra solder to a Yorkshire apart from the first time I tried to solder bigger than 15mm (straight to 28mm) and made a mess, and once a leak I had due to soldering the last joint in a run with enough opening for the air to escape.
On the other hand the gas pipes in our place look like they used a whole roll on each joint on the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Variations in methods. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock