Search the forum,

Discuss Ventillation Query Re an Ideal E Type Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Competent DIYer

Hi Folks
I posted my first query on this matter yesterday, when I joined the forum - but it was probably in the wrong area and lacked relevant detail, but thanks to those of you who replied. I've always found this site useful over the years and its helped me a lot in the plumbing on my previous houses.

I bought my current property 2 years ago where the water and central heating are powered by an ideal e type boiler CF 105N that works fine. It is housed in its own room, 9 foot by 5 foot by 7 foot with a door opening onto a corridor which has top and bottom vents.

The boiler itself has a vertical flue and exits via a lined flue up a chimney.Ventillation for the boiler is provided by two four inch pipes which vent to the outside of the building. The lower of the pipes has an extractor fitted that is controlled by the boiler.  This generates a constant exchange of air from outside when the boiler is operating.

There is also a carbon monoxide detector sited just inside the door of the room at eye level.<br><br>I have recently found a gas report from 4 years ago stating that the ventillation for the boiler was inadequate, but I believe that that report must have been issued before the ventilation was installed, otherwise why would someone go to the expense of installing new vents and pump that were not compliant?.The new ventillation pipes and pump look relatively new.

My thoughts on the ventillation are as follows. The boiler manual says the external ventillation must be 155cm2 for this model (manual dated 1977).The gross gas input for this model at full blast is 41.3kW, which nets down to 37.5kW. After subtracting 7kW and multiplying by 5 gives a ventillation requirement of 152.5cm2, slightly less than that stated in the manual.

When the boiler is working there is forced transfer of air via the two vent pipes, the area of which equates to 162cm2 - calculated as follows:- 5.08cm radius*5.08radius*3.142 *2. Even if the extractor stopped working, there will still be two vent pipes, directly connected to outside with a combined area of 162cm2.I obviously want to get the boiler serviced, as I have no idea how long ago it was done, but it concerns me that I have to pick an engineer, at random, who may find it more commercially attractive to state that my boiler has insufficient ventillation and instead of a service propose a nice new expensive boiler on an outside wall with all the associated re-piping costs on top. This I simply cannot afford.
I would appreciate any thoughts on the above.Many thanks

Your first attempt was closed as you had been advised to get a gsr.

Long time reader needs a read of the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ventillation Query Re an Ideal E Type Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock