Search the forum,

Discuss Vertical condenser flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
quick question, does a vertical condenser flue need to have a rain cap or as it is full of steam which I assume must condense at times, does it drain anyhow?

Thanks

Why do you ask ?

Why do you ask ?

My elderly dad had his flue changed to go vertical out of Garage roof and it doesn’t have one,
; he switched to condenser and the old vent interfered with his shed.

I was looking to redirect mine, up higher and it made me think if I was not going to have a L pipe to send it sideways what about rain, so I looked at Dads and it made me think.

I was just going to add a plume Management pipe on mine preference vertical exit but can make it go sideways.

Thankd

either way your gas safe or oftec guy will advise the best way

Are you talking about a flue or Plume kit ? a proper V/Flue will have a terminal on top can you put up a photo of what's been done

Will get a photo in a couple of days, of my Dads. Is an oil boiler.

As it it an oil condensing boiler your dad now has, and if the vertical flue is proper flue kit for that boiler, - then it will not have a rain cap and does not require it.
It allows the plume to go higher to disperse better.
Rainwater will just go out the condense discharge and can’t damage the boiler.
Some universal flues (non balanced) can be used and are an exception because they can have rain caps, but tend to direct the plume downwards.
None of this information on oil flues is safety related, so I see no reason on it being withheld.
Just make sure any work on a flue to be installed or altered, is done by the relevant oil or gas qualified person.

Last edited:
Boiler would need to be analyser tested if any alteration to a flue because a longer flue for example might alter the way the burner operates

Vertical flues with no terminal? I must be miss-understanding. This sounds like madness. What about rain water going down the air intake? What about manafacturers instructions? What about regs? What about safety? What about combustion? What about leaving it alone and getting a properly qualified person in?

As it it an oil condensing boiler your dad now has, and if the vertical flue is proper flue kit for that boiler, - then it will not have a rain cap and does not require it.
It allows the plume to go higher to disperse better.
Rainwater will just go out the condense discharge and can’t damage the boiler.
Some universal flues (non balanced) can be used and are an exception because they can have rain caps, but tend to direct the plume downwards.
None of this information on oil flues is safety related, so I see no reason on it being withheld.
Just make sure any work on a flue to be installed or altered, is done by the relevant oil or gas qualified person.

Universal flue? Are you sure, I've never heard of a universal flue.

Universal flue? Are you sure, I've never heard of a universal flue.

Yes, you can get a stainless steel twin walled insulated flue that can be used for some condensing oil boilers, using an adaptor piece for final connection to boiler.
I only termed it universal.
The flue has a groove on the outer part of the internal pipe that rubber seals go onto, much like the actual boiler flue kits have.
Can be used for Warmflow or Grant oil boilers for sure. It isn’t a balanced flue.
I will send you details of it.

Vertical flues with no terminal? I must be miss-understanding. This sounds like madness. What about rain water going down the air intake? What about manafacturers instructions? What about regs? What about safety? What about combustion? What about leaving it alone and getting a properly qualified person in?

That’s the way they are made in the factory oil boiler kits. The flue has opening on vertical kits has a stainless steel ‘wire’ sort of thing to prevent a bird falling in. The air intake is on the side of the terminal, similar to gas flues and rain can’t get in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vertical condenser flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all We noticed water suddenly backing up through the pipe for the dishwasher drainage pipe yesterday - first time this has happened. When I move the pipe up vertically, the issue goes away. The dishwasher is new and was installed a few months ago. Looking at the pipe on the wall it...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Could someone help with a issue I have been having with my vertical radiator. I have one vertical radiator in my bungalow and it does not heat up unless the surrounding radiators are shut off. I have tried turning the surrounding radiators down but the have to be completely or very...
Replies
Views
Engineer has installed several boilers for me. All the condensate pipes have been connected externally into soil stack or rain water downpipe. In each case he just drilled a hole in the pipe, and stuck the condensate in the side, smeared glue everywhere. No boss, or branch. Is this allowed, is...
Replies
Views
I need to cap off a water connection which is the water pipe connector to an M15 hose pipe from a kitchen sprayer tap. I have included images so you can understand my problem. Can anyone tell me the best way to blank off that pipe. (That's the vertical brass pipe in the photos)
Replies
Views
My installation has been classed as Dangerous 'Do not use' by my boiler manufacturer. I have an Ideal Logic 30kw Combi boiler mounted as high as can be on the kitchen wall. Flue exits out through the wall via an elbow but emerges above a flat roof. Unfortunately it's somewhat less than the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock