Search the forum,

Discuss Very high water bill mystery! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fine I welcome your questions to hopefully get to the bottom of this. I had the stoptap off for about 3 hours and there was no movement. When the water company guy came he said if there was a leak he could have seen even the tiniest drip showing on the meter.
To be honest I thought the same at one point as I have a neighbour from he'll who also has the know how to do such a thing due to his job!

Tests suggested so far haven't discovered anything so I think I will have to get someone in to investigate further. I appreciate all the help and suggestions received.

Ignoring fora moment the CWS issue - If the neighbour IS using your water,it would only show movement when he is using the water. Say for an outside tap or equipment in garage.

What does CWS supply? Have you a (maybe tank fed) dishwasher and/or washing machine? Could the inlet valves on one of these be passing?

CWS is for upstairs sink, bath, shower and toilet. The downstairs sink and washing machine comes off the mains.

Then your toilet is more than likely the culprit check the bowl and water will be entering the bowl when not in use

Is there an isolation valve on the WC?
If so, buy a bucket. Use the bucket for a while filled from downstairs to flush and don't use other items filled from shower. Monitor the CWS.

Or do the bog paper trick, If you haven't yet

Some meters have a little turbine wheel spinning that shows miniscule water use (that is still significant over time) and easily indicates flow long before a digit will move.
My leak seems more obvious. With my stopcock off the little wheel still turns so my leak is between meter and stopcock. As the distance is some 30m I do not fancy digging up 30m of ground to find it, maybe in summer if we get one!
The problem quoted should be fairly easy to solve with a bit of logic as has been suggested by other contributors.

My leak seems more obvious. With my stopcock off the little wheel still turns so my leak is between meter and stopcock. As the distance is some 30m I do not fancy digging up 30m of ground to find it, maybe in summer if we get one!
The problem quoted should be fairly easy to solve with a bit of logic as has been suggested by other contributors.

There are techniques for pin-pointing buried leaks where digging is going to be expensive, for example:

How to Find Leaks - Understanding Acoustic Leak Detection

What one often finds is that the leak is either withn a foot or so of the meter or stopcock. If not the pipe probably failed because it was an suitable type and/or was not buried correctly and so the whole lot needs to be dug up and redone properly anyway.

:(

Yes I was going to have a poke around the meter and pipe entry into the property. Somewhere I also have a tee off that feeds a garage and outbuildings but will start with easier ones as I know where they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Very high water bill mystery! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, I moved into a new build three bedroom, two bathroom bungalow about 2.5 years ago. Ever since we moved in there has been an issue with the water pressure. Toward the end of last year the pressure had got worse. For instance, you could not run another tap in the house if a...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I've recently submitted a meter reading to Thames Water and received a bill of 223 pounds! For the period between 25 May 2022 – 10 October 2022, saying my daily usage is of 1.61 pounds. I find this very hard to believe as we are a house of two people and are quite conscious of water...
Replies
Views
Hi! Our main stopcock is weeping. I phoned the water company, first-person thought it was their problem as it was on the 'outside' of the water meter. Then another person called me to schedule a visit and they told me that its not their problem as both the water meter and the leaky stopcock are...
Replies
Views
Two connected houses in our 70s condo development, everyone served by one water meter at the road. 833 has 40 lbs of pressure while attached house 835 has over 100 lbs. -- no problems in either house or immediately outside -- and no pressure relief valves or shutoffs. Plumber traced the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock