Search the forum,

Discuss Want to become a faster and more efficient plumber in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys

Looking for any pointers/advice in becoming a better tradesman. Lately I'm doubting myself. I'm a level 3 plumber with OFTEC only just passed my level 3 and want to know if anyone has any advice for me so I can perform well. Kills me to think that I'm not good enough or that I'm not up to par in comparison to other boys. Just want any pointers that you boys have for me. Whether it's organisation or tips and tricks.

Cheers!

don't put yourself down mate there's plenty out there that will do that for you just bear in mind you cannot please everyone all the time seems to me your lacking confidence a bit you have got your qualifications so your no fool , it takes years to become fully skilled 3 tips I would give you work clean and tidy dust sheet up where you work and clean up after yourself , communicate well , turn out quality work recommendations from customers is what you want to achieve. take pride in your work and your confidence will grow. I have been doing this nearly 40 years and I am still learning things every week chin up bud post a couple of picture up of a install you have completed lets have a look all the best kop.

Just a few I've done. I'm getting Afro off this builder we do work for and he's also someone who contributed to me being sacked from my previous employer. (Previous employer was a tool but still' I do lack confidence but o suppose that's down to what happened with my apprenticeship

IMG_1925.PNG

IMG_1926.PNG

IMG_1979.PNG

IMG_1981.PNG

IMG_1982.PNG

think about layout and plan your route

looks good tho bet the sparky liked you on the last pic

no mag filter on return ?

pipe work looks great

nice bends / passovers

you got no worries bud nice clean tidy work there its their loss theres always someone who will take the Sod we all have knocks in life keep turning out work like that you will be just fine only one comment maybe space the pipework a bit so you can get the insulation on all the best kop.

Level 3 , you aint no mug pal .
Years ago when I retrained as a plumber approx 22 of us enrolled on the old C&G foundation course ( dont run it now ) , 2 off us finished as level 3 plumbers .....
Draw your own conclusions from that pal , but I say well done .

Thanks lads.

Haha the sparky messed up on the plan from what I remember. No mag on the return because the customer didn't want one (extra cost) if it was up to me I'd put them in on every install, class things.

I was thinking more along the lines of organisation and little things like distances when first fixing etc... I got note on my phone with the pipe distances for the radiators we use so I know exactly where to position my pipes for whatever might be going there eg double, single etc..

I know I need to sort my van out because it's rammed at the moment. Just getting the will to do it lately.

Just things like pipes being in places where they shouldn't but I put that down to lack of communication. Says one thing and does another sort of thing, really annoys me that I have to go and alter pipework after being on another job all day.

I want to be more organised because I find myself going back n forth to the suppliers. My work is to a good standard but other things let me down. In my mind anyway.

Dont beat yourself up about it bud we all have them jobs working for builders it is always a problem they often work in a muddle themselves and expect you to attend their job as soon as they call , i have had a nightmare job myself this past 10 days a compleate bathroom revamp multi paneled walls for the shower all the other walls and floor. are fully tiled with porcelain tiles and a limestone boarder , which weigh a absolute ton these tiles need to be supported and the adhesives to fully dry before you can grout up , new shower mixer and fittings tray and sliding doors, new toilet and basin fancy towel rail pipework chopped in the wall and made good , soil stack boxed, pipework boxed all takes time the customer expected it done in 7 days when i had said 2 weeks , nearly walked on tuesday after a few snide comments they made and a slagging off text but got it sorted and am now back on track so we all get em mate , i tend to plan my days work and pick up materials am for that day but often have to go get bits grrrr all the bests kop.

It's a part of the job that sometimes things catch you out and can be a PITA!
I'm just coming to the end of installaing a wet room and separate ensuite to first floor in a beautifully finished occupied home... can't move outside the spaces for risk of damaging something! The tiles are 600x600 polished flats on walls and floor with 1mm grout joints... they are the toughest porcelain I've had to drill through and the Aqua Lisa outlets and controls all require 4 fixing points very close to the pipe stubs - what a nightmare 35 holes in the wet room and 20 in the ensuite all taking about 10-15 mins each and numerous bits... aaaggghhh!

Feel for you bud i have the same problem invested in some marcrist drill bits , and the bosch blue bits to start em off keep wetting the bit and you gradually get there good luck kop .

The best ones I've found to date- believe it or not, are the wickes triple pack of glass tile bits for ÂŁ5.99 they are arrow-headed and can deal with a wide range of materials. Great VFM too - but it's still a pain. Cheers d.

Edit: which marcrist bits and Bosch blues do you use?

60 holes later , all finished apart from special order screen for ensuite which is being delivered in 12 weeks :mad:

IMG_2384.JPG
IMG_2385.JPG
IMG_2386.JPG
IMG_2387.JPG
IMG_2389.JPG
IMG_2392.JPG
IMG_2394.JPG
IMG_2396.JPG
IMG_2397.JPG
IMG_2402.JPG

How do you access the toilet cistern if something goes wrong in there?

Will be access from behind in the other room

Through the flush / button plate

How do you access the toilet cistern if something goes wrong in there?

It's a Geberit concealed cistern - you can get everything serviced/replaced through the push plate.

Edit: and the one in the ensuite has a cupboard behind the wall that the btw pan meets - cistern is boxed in and accessible there.

Damn, the things I learn here.
There is one toilet in the picture with just a tiny flush button embedded in the tiles. I don't think that one would be a Geberit?

Neat as hell Dilalio. Wish I could do bathrooms to that standard!

Thanks. Wish I'd taken photos of the original rooms before the works. Quite a difference - basins and wc's were in different locations and were just close-coupled and basins on pedestals, the family room had a bath in it with a standard shower cubicle in the opposite corner.

Nice job Dilalio i bet that took some sorting out you should be proud of that one thanks for sharing it with us .

Here is some info on the drill bits that maybe of some help to you screwfix do quite a range all the best regards kop .

Screenshot_2017-07-14-02-27-25.png

Screenshot_2017-07-14-02-24-08.png

20170710_105140.jpg

20170710_105331.jpg

Thanks. Wish I'd taken photos of the original rooms before the works. Quite a difference - basins and wc's were in different locations and were just close-coupled and basins on pedestals, the family room had a bath in it with a standard shower cubicle in the opposite corner.

I think it helps here that the bathroom is large. It's hard to make a cramped bathroom look nice like this.

How much does it cost to get a bathroom like this, labour only?

I've got these blue Bosch drill bits btw, got them off ebay. The good thing with them is they can drill through various material, so you don't need to keep changing drill bits and you can drill straight through wood into masonry. I still have dowelling drill bits for precision drilling.

Nice job Dilalio i bet that took some sorting out you should be proud of that one thanks for sharing it with us .

Here is some info on the drill bits that maybe of some help to you screwfix do quite a range all the best regards kop .

View attachment 30313

View attachment 30314

View attachment 30315

View attachment 30316

Cheers KOP,
I bought one of those PG750X's and yes, they are good - only problem with them is that it takes longer to get the crap out of the core than it takes to drill a hole :mad:;)
I have a set of dentist tools that I use for intricate work on shower valves/boilers etc which helped with this but still a pain.
I wanted to get the 6&8mm double ended one but my local screwfix didn't have them in stock :(

I think it helps here that the bathroom is large. It's hard to make a cramped bathroom look nice like this.

How much does it cost to get a bathroom like this, labour only?

I've got these blue Bosch drill bits btw, got them off ebay. The good thing with them is they can drill through various material, so you don't need to keep changing drill bits and you can drill straight through wood into masonry. I still have dowelling drill bits for precision drilling.

I always think there's more work in a small washroom because you can't move and need another room for your tools and set-up.
With the right design, planning and products they can look just as effective though! The main wetroom in this job was very cramped when it had the bath in it - creating a wetroom helps make it look bigger and this is true for smaller rooms too as you don't have to have a clunky, fully sealed screen setup.

Cheers KOP,
I bought one of those PG750X's and yes, they are good - only problem with them is that it takes longer to get the crap out of the core than it takes to drill a hole :mad:;)
I have a set of dentist tools that I use for intricate work on shower valves/boilers etc which helped with this but still a pain.
I wanted to get the 6&8mm double ended one but my local screwfix didn't have them in stock :(
My pleasure bud i just keep plenty of water on it and keep flushing it out keep up the good work cheers kop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Want to become a faster and more efficient plumber in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock