Search the forum,

Discuss Washing Machine Dirty Water Smell in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

We have noticed for a while now that when our washing machine nears the end of a cycle we get a bad smell of dirty water in the downstairs toilet which is next door.

We have moved the washing machine as we are having floor tiles put down and have noticed that the waste pipe is full of dark sludge, is this normal?

As you can see from the photos, the machine or pipes also look to be leaking, possible the waste pipe overflowing?

Any ideas on what could be causing the smell?

Attachments

• PXL_20240227_091622563.jpg
    PXL_20240227_091622563.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20240227_091625937.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240227_091625937.MP.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20240227_091638004.jpg
    PXL_20240227_091638004.jpg
    635.8 KB · Views: 18
No, it's not normal to have dark sludge in the trap. I would suggest that you remove the W/M trap and give it a good clean out using an outside tap or your kitchen sink tap. Refit the trap when clean making sure that you hand tighten or nip it up using pump pliers (try not to over tighten).

As for the smell in the downstairs WC, do you have any picture of where the W/M waste pipe runs to?

Last edited:
Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately we don't see where the pipe goes after it disappears under the floor. All I can see in the toilet is the waste pipe running up from to the floor behind the sink along with the hot and cold

Attachments

• PXL_20240301_074345710.jpg
    PXL_20240301_074345710.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 14

Reply to Washing Machine Dirty Water Smell in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock