Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss Water bubbling up from around shower waste seal. Brand new shower in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. AndySE

AndySE New Member

Hoping for some advice on what could be the problem and how it can be rectified please. We've just had a new bathroom installed including a new shower. The water is draining very slowly (separate issue I think) but we've also noticed air bubbles coming from the seal around the waste (where it joins the tray). Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially how it can be rectified. Thank you in advance

2. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

If it has just been installed You should get the Plumber back to it ASAP

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. snowhead

snowhead Well-Known Member

They'll be rubbish in the waste pipe, or it was blocked before the new bathroom and the installer didn't check.

4. Phil

Phil Plumber

Ring him right now, its just sloppy. He hasnt even tested it.

Last bathroom I did I ripped the bathroom out and stuck my wet vac on the wastepipe under the floor and the wet vac went nuts and then i lost the seal at the end and got splutter full of gunk splattered all up the ceiling and totally over me. It turns out it had been a long flat 5M run.

5. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Any chance of a picture ? Lol

6. Phil

Phil Plumber

Its was all back gritty almost inky slop totally in my face and eyes. :(

Cant post pics on the new forum thing as I cant sign in on my phone.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. AndySE

AndySE New Member

Thanks everyone for your comments. Have contacted plumber and said he will come and have a look. Will the tray need to be lifted to repair the seal or can it be rectified from above? Tray has been all tiled in. Looking for what would be best practice repair rather than a make do that might fail again in the future. Thanks again

8. Phil

Phil Plumber

Any pictures?

9. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Definitely previous customer should give you some sort of warranty. I do not know what your service agreement states but a good company or sole trader should and will give you warranty on the installation.

Call him back, and ask him kindly to have look and solve the issue as you paid him for that.

However, it will be on his costs covering labour and materials. Make sure that he leaves job with a good finish that's what you paid for didn't you?
    He could try plunging or wet vac :)

Perhaps not @Phil@Phil wet vac :)))))

Basically as everyone mentioned above :)

By the way: welcome to the forum !

Kind regards

Ron

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. AndySE

AndySE New Member

Here is an image. You can see a large bubble between 11 and 12 o'clock and smaller ones between 5 and 6 o'clock and 6 and 7 o'clock and 8 and 9 o'clock. Shower hasn't ever been properly used yet. This was the first test.

image.png

11. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Erm, doesn`t look new and clean does it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AndySE

AndySE New Member

No it doesn't :(. It was new, don't know how it's ended up looking like this.

13. moonlight

moonlight Plumber GSR

how long ago was it fitted?

14. Chuck

Chuck Top Contributor!!

From the look of it, someone didn't get the alignment between the waste pipe and the tray right, bodged it, and was left with a gap. Not wanting to take the tray out, they'll have pumped loads of sealant into the gap to try and pack it. There'll be voids in the sealant and the air bubbles are the trapped air being displaced from these as the water finds its way into the void. The messy finish is where the excess sealant wasn't properly cleaned up. My guess is that in due course you'll find it is leaking into the floor and through your ceiling.

Quite an interesting result, but I wouldn't accept this standard of work. IMO, it does not show a reasonable standard care and skill.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Chuck

Chuck Top Contributor!!

Yeah, I remember my first pint... :)