1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Dismiss Notice

Couple of important things to note. 1. We use Cookies, deal with it. Every website does. 2. Nobody but a currently-registered Gas Engineer should be touching gas or gas appliances. Don't mess with gas at all. 

Discuss Water bubbling up from around shower waste seal. Brand new shower in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. AndySE

AndySE New Member

Hoping for some advice on what could be the problem and how it can be rectified please. We've just had a new bathroom installed including a new shower. The water is draining very slowly (separate issue I think) but we've also noticed air bubbles coming from the seal around the waste (where it joins the tray). Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially how it can be rectified. Thank you in advance

2. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

If it has just been installed You should get the Plumber back to it ASAP

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. snowhead

snowhead Well-Known Member

They'll be rubbish in the waste pipe, or it was blocked before the new bathroom and the installer didn't check.

4. Phil

Phil Plumber

Ring him right now, its just sloppy. He hasnt even tested it.

Last bathroom I did I ripped the bathroom out and stuck my wet vac on the wastepipe under the floor and the wet vac went nuts and then i lost the seal at the end and got splutter full of gunk splattered all up the ceiling and totally over me. It turns out it had been a long flat 5M run.

5. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Any chance of a picture ? Lol

6. Phil

Phil Plumber

Its was all back gritty almost inky slop totally in my face and eyes. :(

Cant post pics on the new forum thing as I cant sign in on my phone.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. AndySE

AndySE New Member

Thanks everyone for your comments. Have contacted plumber and said he will come and have a look. Will the tray need to be lifted to repair the seal or can it be rectified from above? Tray has been all tiled in. Looking for what would be best practice repair rather than a make do that might fail again in the future. Thanks again

8. Phil

Phil Plumber

Any pictures?

9. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Definitely previous customer should give you some sort of warranty. I do not know what your service agreement states but a good company or sole trader should and will give you warranty on the installation.

Call him back, and ask him kindly to have look and solve the issue as you paid him for that.

However, it will be on his costs covering labour and materials. Make sure that he leaves job with a good finish that's what you paid for didn't you?
    He could try plunging or wet vac :)

Perhaps not @Phil@Phil wet vac :)))))

Basically as everyone mentioned above :)

By the way: welcome to the forum !

Kind regards

Ron

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. AndySE

AndySE New Member

Here is an image. You can see a large bubble between 11 and 12 o'clock and smaller ones between 5 and 6 o'clock and 6 and 7 o'clock and 8 and 9 o'clock. Shower hasn't ever been properly used yet. This was the first test.

image.png

11. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Erm, doesn`t look new and clean does it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AndySE

AndySE New Member

No it doesn't :(. It was new, don't know how it's ended up looking like this.

13. moonlight

moonlight Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

how long ago was it fitted?

14. Chuck

Chuck Top Contributor!!

From the look of it, someone didn't get the alignment between the waste pipe and the tray right, bodged it, and was left with a gap. Not wanting to take the tray out, they'll have pumped loads of sealant into the gap to try and pack it. There'll be voids in the sealant and the air bubbles are the trapped air being displaced from these as the water finds its way into the void. The messy finish is where the excess sealant wasn't properly cleaned up. My guess is that in due course you'll find it is leaking into the floor and through your ceiling.

Quite an interesting result, but I wouldn't accept this standard of work. IMO, it does not show a reasonable standard care and skill.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Chuck

Chuck Top Contributor!!

Yeah, I remember my first pint... :)

16. AndySE

AndySE New Member

The tray has probably been in a couple of weeks, since then the room has been tiled and second fix just completed so this was the first time we tried running the shower and identified the problem. Really appreciate all your help and comments.

17. Phil

Phil Plumber

So to me the 'bubbles' are just excess silicone not cleaned properly and you have a slow draining shower.

Was it a different tiler/plumber?
    Maybe the drain was fine and the tiler has used it to clean his trowels and filled with residue that has set in the pipes. I hope not this.

When I do bathrooms I do everything myself, I don't let anyone else in their or they bodge stuff. Apart from sparky and then it takes me an hour to clean up after him.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. AndySE

AndySE New Member

They are definitely air bubbles coming up from the joint between the waste and the tray. I have a video but it won't allow me to upload it to this forum. There is also a problem with the drainage, it's very slow. I really hope the new pipework is not blocked. Also, when flushing the new toilet or running the tap, water is bubbling out of the shower waste. I believe the shower and sink share the same waste inside, and they connect to the soil pipe outside before joining the soil stack.

19. Phil

Phil Plumber

Something not right there, its not a good position to be in to return and look for a quick fix.
    Flushing WC leads to waste backflowing into shower tray? Is the tray on a platform and it is an upstairs bathroom?

Any pics of the whole room? You can tell if he's any good by the finish.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. AndySE

AndySE New Member

The tray isn't on a platform. It is an upstairs room. Flushing the wc does lead to water bubbling up in the shower, as does emptying the handbasin. The wc waste is separate, with the shower and sink waste dropping sharply into it outside the property, then this pipe joins the soil stack.

21. oz-plumber

oz-plumber Plumber

As soon as you have bubbling from any fixture trap while another fixture is being used,
    you have a problem.
    Either venting problems or blockage of some sort.

I would get someone with a drain camera around to inspect the drains.
    That way you could pinpoint where the problem is before you start pulling the place to pieces.

Saying that, that shower waste is going to have to be redone regardless.
    The silicon has not sealed and will be leaking underneath the shower

22. Allgoode

Allgoode GSR

Looks like silicone/plumbers mate or a combination of both, not good.

I use Dow Corning 785 silicone in the bathroom & when mating up shower waste to the tray especially if the customer has bought one of those fantastic online bargain shower tray/enclosure deals as generally the mating surface is not finished off properly.

I also spend sufficient time aligning it correctly and securing to prevent this issue you have.

As mentioned above get the plumber back to rectify problem with air bubbles but it also sounds like as mentioned above you have issues with the soil stack ventilation.

By fitting an anti syphon waste trap to the basin ((Screwfix - McAlpine Anti-Syphon Bottle Trap White 32mm 37314 )) this can help out with the gurgling coming back into the shower when basin emptied.

If your soil stack does not have an air admittance valve (Durgo) you generally get this issue as you get a pressure rise in the stack when the loo is flushed thus back pushing the waste water in the shower drains back into/towards the tray unsealing the tray and admitting air thus the gurgling.

For your slow emptying of the shower it is generally either debris in the pipework which can be caused by the plumber not cleaning up joins correctly leading to catching things travelling down the pipe or again as mentioned, the tiler cleaning up his tools at the end of the day and bits of grout/adhesive lodging where you don't want them to go.

The potential other thing it could be is there being insufficiently sized pipes and/or too many corners/bends going possibly in different directions.
    Seen this many times where a new install was joined into existing drain pipes but there were to many bends/corners thus slowing flow down.

As your shower is on an upstand the plumber should have reasonable access to drop down the tray waste and clean it up/replace if necessary which should clear up the sealing issue, for the other item I can only wish you good luck, be persistent but polite and mention that it is his responsibility to sort out for you & also if he is not willing document everything and if necessary you can persue through small claims court for costs to rectify using another tradesman if all else fails.

Should not come to that if he/she is a good plumber who knows what they are doing as reputation takes years to gain but can be lost so easily,

Thanks,

Andy