Discuss Water meter - Moving in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently I am in the process of moving a water meter, within the same room (with the water company's ) agreement. After which they will inspect it and seal it.

The nuts attaching the compression fittings to either side of the water meter have a couple of holes around the nut besels so that they can seal the meter with wire. However I am replacing the incoming stop tap with (just before the meter). These are also compression fittings but don't have little holes around the nuts so that this can be form part of the seal.

Is this ok, as I guess technically (I would not as it would be theft) I could undo the nuts on the stop tap and tee off without breaking any seals.

Also is there a maximum distance between the incoming stop tap and the water meter as there is nothing shown on the information provided by the water company (other distances are shown) ?

yes thats fine you can either use tap connectors with the inner raised lip filed off or some female irons

Thanks for the prompt response, however I am a little unsure what you mean. I was going to use :-

stopcock 15mm

As the stop tap with a short piece of copper tubing to the meter. As you can see there is no holes to seal the nuts on the stop tap? Is there a max length that this small piece of pipe should be ?

Thanks for the prompt response, however I am a little unsure what you mean. I was going to use :-

stopcock 15mm

As the stop tap with a short piece of copper tubing to the meter. As you can see there is no holes to seal the nuts on the stop tap? Is there a max length that this small piece of pipe should be ?

Yes that's fine I thought you were replacing the meter unions / fittings

But you can't tee off before the meter

thanks I have no intention of teeing off before the meter. However I read an article that the water company inspectors did not like a large distance between the incoming stop tap and the meter as you could insert a tee.

Is there a max distance that there should be between the stop tap and the meter ?

thanks I have no intention of teeing off before the meter. However I read an article that the water company inspectors did not like a large distance between the incoming stop tap and the meter as you could insert a tee.

Is there a max distance that there should be between the stop tap and the meter ?

Had to put the bit in about teeing before you would be surprised how many outside taps are before:D

And Normally under 12" (30 cms)

Ideally it should be directly after the stopcock but i have come across many remote meters away from the main stopcock especially on a shared main as long as no water is teed off off before the water meter it should be ok . regards kop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water meter - Moving in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back