Search the forum,

Discuss Water Supply problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have recently had an en-suite installed in the loft/second floor of a Victorian terrace by a bathroom fitter who has gone awol.

Now the en-suite is seemed to be working fine at first, but we’ve now come to realise that when the main bathroom taps (1st floor) are switched on the water flow to the en-suite (2nd floor) becomes interrupted. During this time, no water comes out of the sink or shower in the ensuite at all.

I have been in touch with another plumber who has suggested a water pump as he believes there may be an issue with water pressure. However, he isn’t confident it will work as he has only ever fitted one before. I’d be happy to pay the £360 if I was sure it was going to work but would like to know if anyone has any experience with this?

Things I should mention about the set up:

- The boiler is a combi boiler in the kitchen on the ground floor. Ideal Independent C24
- In order to get the water in to the loft en-suite the pipes have been connected underneath the first floor bathroom sink. – I have attached a pic.

Water connection.jpg

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time

Open the kitchen sink cold tap and then open the main bathroom cold tap does both have pressure or does one rob the supply ? Do the same for hot as well please

And tbh no qualified plumber has done the install

Hi Thanks for your reply, yeah i'm guessing that's why I cant get hold of him.

The property has a tenant in it, I will ask them to check out what you have suggested, is there anything else you'd like them to try whilst their at it?

Thanks again :)

No that's it for now ta

Is there good pressure at the en-suite taps when they are the only ones in use? If so a boosting pump probably won't help much and sounds more like a supply issue. Flow rates will probably need checked as well. But as above measuring dynamic pressure as a start!

The pressure in the ensuite tap low to medium when the other bathroom is not in use, it doesn't blast out but doesn't trickle either. The shower works fine.

It's mainly when the other bathroom is in use that the issue becomes apparent. Which is why I guess we didn't notice at first.

I've asked the tenant to do the tests and will update when they have.

Thanks, I appreciate the replies.

Hello.

So I've heard back from the tenant tonight and they have ran the checks as you suggested.

They advised that when the kitchen taps both hot and cold are switched on, the main bathroom taps reduce in pressure slightly but not a significant amount.

What does this suggest?

i would say you have a combination of issues all adding together

not full bore iso valves
plastic pipe
shoddy install
and low incoming pressure

So would you suggest replacing the pipework and valves to solve the problem? Rather than a pump?

Yes but I would see what your incoming cold pressure is like first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water Supply problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock