Search the forum,

Discuss Water Tank Overflowing but not ball cock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I have a problem and would be grateful for any help. At the weekend, when filling up the bath, the overflow pipe from the roof started chucking out water.

I have one tank in the loft. I have changed the ball cock already but have realised this isn't what's causing the overflow.

When running just the cold tap or just the hot tap the tank doesn't overflow. However, if i run the cold and hot taps (mixer tap) on the bath simultaneously the tank fills and overflows. The water isn't coming from the ball cock's valve but is coming IN from the pipe at the bottom of the tank where it is meant to come out of!

Furthermore, the water is literally just dribbling out of the cold tap and is absolutely flying out of the hot tap! PS. I have a combi-boiler.

I'm presuming the hot water pressure is somehow overpowering the cold and this may be the problem? Also there is a fair amount of debris in the tank (although water is clear) that could have got into the pipework.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

AL

Are you sure you have a combi boiler ??

Well there's your problem you shouldn't have a tank

As it's mains pressure hot I'm guessing a shower is passing and the hot water is going up the tank cold

The shower doesn't seem to impact it. We have lived here for 2 years and it has been fine up until now. I remember when it was installed he said he left it on the tank because it had better pressure?

Easy way to tell run any mixer outlets and see if the tank water becomes warm

And unless the tank is 20m above all the outlets the main water going to win

Reply to Water Tank Overflowing but not ball cock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just recently noticed the overflow has started pouring water out, there are three tanks in the loft and I'm quite sure this is from the heating. We have two boilers, one for water and one for the heating, it's an 8 bed Victorian house (bed and breakfast) I went into the loft to see what...
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering and showing signs of an air lock. I attached cold mains to a hot tap and left it running for 15 minutes, while opening up each hot tap. They all...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’ve noticed my ballcock valve is always running in the loft on the small f and e tank but when heating is on its fine, also no water coming out of the overflow, any ideas.?
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock