Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Ways to cap a gas fire in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. veronica123

veronica123 New Member

Good afternoon

I wonder if someone could help?

How many ways are there to cap a gas fire?

My assumption was just 1 - To remove the pipe running to the fire. I recently been told there is actually a few ways.

Is this right?

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Hello and welcome

Are you gas safe or training to be gas safe ?

3. veronica123

veronica123 New Member

Im not no

A gas safe engineer has written on our certificate the supply was capped. But the fire still worked, he is now accusing us of uncapping it (no idea how we'd have done that)

4. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Could be isolated but not capped
    Meaning someone with basic tools could turn it back on

5. veronica123

veronica123 New Member

Ye he has said I would have had to remove a dust cap then used a screwdriver then put the cap back on.

I don't even know where this dust cap is but he's accusing me, the property agents then had to pay for the same engineer to remove the pipe and want to charge me.

I've been completely setup by this engineer.. Shouldn't the certificate say it's isolated not capped if it could be turned back on?

6. ShaunCorbs

sounds like hes used the restrictor elbow as a cap, which he cant as it can be reinstated very easily

[​IMG]

needs a physical cap (normally a 10mm cap end) where the pipe goes

• Like Like x 1
  7. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Why was it turned off?
    Why was it turned off the second time?
    Sounds like there is more to the story.

To me capped is removing the gas pipe and putting a compression cap or soldered cap on the pipe

Isolated is shutting it off with a screwdriver.

8. veronica123

veronica123 New Member

Nature why it was originally turned off to be honest

I moved in to the property and just started using the fire as there was one in the property. It worked so took that as a green light to use it.

A family member said check the certificate a few days later to make sure it was tested and the certificate says it was previously capped so not tested.

I contacted the agents to make them aware and suddenly I'm to blame for whole thing which I feel I aint, all I done was press the ignite button and it worked.

9. ShaunCorbs

i would put it back to the landlords tbh he hasnt capped / checked the fire in the first place to gas safe / bs / igem standards

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sanjay Savani

Sanjay Savani New Member

11. Sanjay Savani

Sanjay Savani New Member

The standards for capping off or isolating according to the British Standard would mean a solid soldered cap. Appropriate fitting as shown. In the screen shot.

12. Sanjay Savani

Sanjay Savani New Member

13. ShaunCorbs

Could be compression as well

14. Sanjay Savani

Sanjay Savani New Member

As long as it is accessible.

15. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I grew here. Has to be soldered of inaccessible

16. GH77

GH77 GSR Top Contributor!!

Terminology is very important, if the Gas Safety certificate states that the fire was not tested as it was capped off and the engineer has stated that and signed the certificate and it turns out that it has only been isolated at the restrictor elbow then the engineer who issued the certificate is in the wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  17. AWheating

AWheating Trusted Plumber GSR

Tell the agent you will contact gas safe as the fire was left uncapped and untested and request they investigate the engineers unsafe standard of work.