Search the forum,

Discuss Weep free compression joints everyone?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys this is my first post. I was wondering what people think the best way to get compression joints on potable water leak free every time sometimes I get weeps on ballafix valves. Cheers rob

Hi Rob,
Welcome along to the forum.

You could use potable jointing paste like jet blue. I always put the nut on then jointing paste and the the olive. Once olive is on I tighten it.
After that I loosen it again and put a little jointing compound onto the olive. Just make sur you do not over tighten the joints that's when people get little weeps or leaks.

Some of the, use also ptfe but as long as you can avoid that don't use it.

@rpm why you disagree? What
A wrong with my way of doing it ? Never had a leak though.
I don't know why you disagree with a simple jointing compound and putting it onto the copper pipe then pushing the olive on and tighten it but not over tighten.

I disagree with your opinion!!!

Over complicated. Nut on pipe, olive on pipe, smear of paste around olive and make up joint. Don't overtighten. Times money.

Nothing wrong with thy mate.
Over complicated. Nut on pipe, olive on pipe, smear of paste around olive and make up joint. Don't overtighten. Times money.
That's what I literally said just read it. But is alright just disagree I'm fine with that :)

Nothing wrong with thy mate.

That's what I literally said just read it. But is alright just disagree I'm fine with that :)

you said

nut on, paste on, olive on (for one as soon as you put the olive on the paste will be removed and squashed into the nut, where its not going to do anything)

and then you said tighten up, then undo and add paste to the olive and re tighten

Same thing mate, just double check with the olive - what's the point of not being careful? No point or argueing about simple stuff like that you keep doing as you want and I'll keep doing the way I do it ;) I don't have issues with that.

Not time consuming neither leaks, so all cool !!!!

Not arguing. Just saying you are wrong. I'm in business to make money, not waste time.

Plus if it didn't bother you then the toys would still be in the pram.

Just trying to help a newbie out.

@rpm why you disagree? What
A wrong with my way of doing it ? Never had a leak though.
I don't know why you disagree with a simple jointing compound and putting it onto the copper pipe then pushing the olive on and tighten it but not over tighten.

I disagree with your opinion!!!

Ronnie I seem to have touched a nerve don`t I? I mean does it really deserve !!! (3 of them). Anyway you have to expect the fact that not everybody will agree with everything you say and especially when you do it in such a looong winded way, we all have our own tried and tested methods, some like to paste while others which you poo pah on like PTFE tape and believe it or not there are some that like to do both.

This subject actually came up on a professional plumbers forum just the other week and the end result was ..................... if it works for you then that`s ok, there was no falling out within members as it is understood we all have our own ways.

If you want to disagree then that it fine, just be adult about it after all you still have the Trusted badge which is supposed to mean something so live up to it.

(Note not 1 single ! was needed in my reply).

Ronnie I seem to have touched a nerve don`t I? I mean does it really deserve !!! (3 of them). Anyway you have to expect the fact that not everybody will agree with everything you say and especially when you do it in such a looong winded way, we all have our own tried and tested methods, some like to paste while others which you poo pah on like PTFE tape and believe it or not there are some that like to do both.

This subject actually came up on a professional plumbers forum just the other week and the end result was .... if it works for you then that`s ok, there was no falling out within members as it is understood we all have our own ways.

If you want to disagree then that it fine, just be adult about it after all you still have the Trusted badge which is supposed to mean something so live up to it.

(Note not 1 single ! was needed in my reply).
Rpm as I said I'm ok with that and I'm not annoyed with you disagreeing my way of doing a joint. Of course everyone one of us has a different way.

Trust me, I am not stressed out or upset you disagreed, that's totally fine with me.

I'm pretty sure I can still learn other tricks and ways from you guys.

I still like you :)

Rpm as I said I'm ok with that and I'm not annoyed with you disagreeing my way of doing a joint. Of course everyone one of us has a different way.

Trust me, I am not stressed out or upset you disagreed, that's totally fine with me.

I'm pretty sure I can still learn other tricks and ways from you guys.

I still like you :)

Better warn you I don't do bromance.
:eek:

I put nut on, olive on, tube into fitting, slide olive up to fitting, smear paste on back of olive, do nut up finger tight, nip it, leak test. If it's hot supply I run hot and give an additional nip.

My mate puts nut on, olive on, smears round end of tube and inserts into fitting, slides olive up, nut up then tightens.

Neither of us get many weeps, if any :)

I put nut on, olive on, tube into fitting, slide olive up to fitting, smear paste on back of olive, do nut up finger tight, nip it, leak test. If it's hot supply I run hot and give an additional nip.

My mate puts nut on, olive on, smears round end of tube and inserts into fitting, slides olive up, nut up then tightens.

Neither of us get many weeps, if any :)
Inserts on copper pipe ?

We use small amount of boss green between olive and fitting, dunno if its of any benefit though
If it's not new pipe I'll clean it up as if I was soldering.
Tighten up using opposing nuts than holding the body

At least now the consensus is Paste is essential.
It used to be debated that paste wasn't needed, - or was detrimental to the joint. Compression fitting manufacturers also say same.
But clearly if you paste you won't have weeps from your fittings or your customers. :)

At least now the consensus is Paste is essential.
It used to be debated that paste wasn't needed, - or was detrimental to the joint. Compression fitting manufacturers also say same.
But clearly if you paste you won't have weeps from your fittings or your customers. :)

Or unless you buy kuterlite fittings they don't need paste

Or unless you buy kuterlite fittings they don't need paste

Big fan of Kuterlite here, but the MIs do say:

"If there is a slight weep from the joint, this will be readily corrected by the application of PTFE tape or a smear of an approved jointing compound to the sealing faces."

(Page 14 of the link above.)

Big fan of Kuterlite here, but the MIs do say:

"If there is a slight weep from the joint, this will be readily corrected by the application of PTFE tape or a smear of an approved jointing compound to the sealing faces."

(Page 14 of the link above.)

Never had one needing either

I won't ever wait for a short while after I turn water on, or a year later to test if a compression joint is weeping slightly.
The Kuterlite fittings had really good olives, which I think is where they excell, but I think all compression joints can have weeps easily and need paste.
I see dry jointed Kuterlite, conex and especially cheaper quality fittings whether with brass or copper olives, showing signs of corrosion due to weeps.

I don't always paste, but see no harm in it. If I don't paste then I insert scrap of pipe into fitting and slightly tighten while wiggling pipe so I ensure the olive is dead straight. Sometimes I can do this on the pipe I intend to use instead of using a scrap.

If there is any strain on the pipe, a re-used or relocated fitting or pipe, if I have my doubts, or if it's going to be a nightmare if there is a weep, then I dismount the fitting and paste a tiny quantity of Water Hawk onto the internal chamfer of the fitting where it meets the olive and then reassemble finger-tight ensuring the olive is straight and I use my finger to wipe excess compound (if any) from the inside of the fitting.

Good quality fittings seldom leak in my experience, and I always put the better looking edge of the olive pointing into the fitting. I have no real preferences on type of olive used (so I get all the brass ones a friend of mine insists on replacing with copper).

I don't always paste, when I do I like to push the pipe into the fitting then tighten it up, then loosen the nut off and add paste to the olive.

I find this stops the olive from moving around when adding paste.

I don't always paste, when I do I like to push the pipe into the fitting then tighten it up, then loosen the nut off and add paste to the olive.

The way you are doing it means you will also be able to see the olive is the full distance onto the pipe and fully compressed.
You know there won't be a pipe falling out of a compression joint someday. I think it is the proper way

I use same technique.

Chatting to an engineer friend of mine the other day, he tells me he always uses copper olives and that he anneals them before use. The rest of us laughed at him, but he claims he has had watertight joints this way without paste even when the fitting was crooked on the pipe. I've yet to try it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Weep free compression joints everyone?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock