Search the forum,

Discuss Weird hot water issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley

Super Moderator
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Scratching my head a bit with this one. I don’t know if anybody has come across this before. Bath in a property has very basic nonceramic taps when she runs h & c, hot runs cold after about 10 mins. It’s off a combi boiler sonoy a lack of water. When she run just the hot tap it runs continuously hot.

Hope somebody might be able to offer a pearl

Low water pressure???

is there a mixer tap or shower could be draing the cold water through one of them

I did think mixer tap or shower but it’s so strange that it runs perfectly for 10 minutes and then goes cold but only when the cold bath tap is on. Boiler is a new Biasi combi ( not fitted by me I hasten to add). Flow belts out Of both the hot and cold taps And hot does need to be throttled back to achieve piping hot

Cartridge on what mate?? There are no thermostatic mixers?

Sorry just realised I didn’t say that the hot and cold taps are completely separate.

Identical doesn’t drop off. If full open then easily 15/16 litres if throttled back to achieve piping hot then 10/11 litres at good temp

As I said mate when cold is off hot water tap runs constantly hot at a good temperature. It’s only when the cold tap is on the hot runs cold about 10minutes later

Stays alight it’s really bloody weird. The only recent change is the new bath taps but these really are nothing special contract variety

Very strange. Worth getting BIASI out and you being on site at the same time??

No I’m just trying to find a solution. It’s almost like there is a crossed pipe somewhere but all other outlets work fine

Does the boiler stop firing ? When both are open?

No mate carries on firing as normal

And if I open another hot outlet it runs hot as normal. Albeit the flow reduces because two hot taps are open

It’s a proper head scratcher isn’t it

It's almost as though whoever fitted the new boiler and or taps, also fitted a TMV (under the bath) which is playing up.

Nope thought TMV but nothing there

Hi,
You could put a check valve on the hot supply to the bath to eliminated cross-flow.
might fix or will allow you to rule out the issue for little cost.
Cheers,
Andy

Thanks for the idea but on single taps what will a check valve do?? Am I missing something

Are there any other thermostatic fittings in the property. I had an instance where a broken shower mixer was affecting flow in a similar way. Also check the rating of the boiler DHW flow rate as it may only be capable of raising it through 35dgC @ x flow and pressure. If either flow or pressure drop off the boiler may not be able to cope.

Good shout on the shower mixer. But he said that the pressure doesn’t alter at all on the flow through out the ten minutes

Yeah and the boiler continues to fire. It’s almost as if the hot water is diverting elsewhere but it’s not

Yeah and the boiler continues to fire. It’s almost as if the hot water is diverting elsewhere but it’s not

Ehup pal , the big one ... has this happened since the new boiler was fitted ??

No only since the taps were replaced. Unfortunately tenant can’t remember what sort of taps were there

No only since the taps were replaced. Unfortunately tenant can’t remember what sort of taps were there
If that’s the case have you got a pic of the taps. I would just change them.

They are just bog standard contract at no-frills at all

They are just bog standard contract at no-frills at all
If that’s the only thing that has changed mate. I would by as set of cheap and nasties and whack them on to see if there is a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Weird hot water issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock