Search the forum,

Discuss Welding in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ermintrude

Alreet.

Been doing some stick welding on some old but brightly shining pressure bottles. They arnt going to be used for pressure but I think I already know the issue, rod dia. I'm ising 2mm think it should really be 2.5. Welds are slaggy and low pen, have a steep angle and it's hot enough. Any suggestions

Blimey ain't used a stick welder in years, soon got fed up with them when I fell I love with migs.

Are they stainless might need stainless rods or maybe not enough amps.....regards Turnpin:punk:

deffo wrong sticks for wrong material.
sounds like theres an alloy content in the cylinders causing an oxide layer during welding.
try brushing welding point with a stainless steel brush imediately before welding see what diference it makes will give you a clue if there alloy in the material.

They are some sort of hardox. Doh! Or so me thinks. Gonna try and use old calor gas containers instead .

i'm quoting townfanjon mate. so get off your high horse. I'm a steam and boiler welder ASME9 so I know a thing or two. I can categorically tell you that NDT/ Xray is still very much around so i'm not sure where you get 18 years behind from???? please, do explain

Thought all mig and tig was wire feed but hey what do I know I haven`t done welding since I was 20 lol

i'm quoting townfanjon mate. so get off your high horse. I'm a steam and boiler welder ASME9 so I know a thing or two. I can categorically tell you that NDT/ Xray is still very much around so i'm not sure where you get 18 years behind from???? please, do explain

In fairness Mark the last post was 3 weeks back and you didn`t quote anyone, c`mon guys calm down it`s Friday!

hey man i'm calm. Just didn't see the need for first post. Obviously must be in an argumentative mood

I thought the beauty of tig was the range of filler metal. It might be very good for stainless but equally useful for aluminium ?

We used to use nuclear density testing with a beta puck and camera. NMR or gamma thought was more upto date? We used to use ndt 18 years ago on roads and concrete. Now use clegg hammer or NMR.

sorry mate. think our paths are crossed, my NDT is Non Destructive Testing, meaning x ray of pipework.

Mark, you work on one plant of are u a subby? Love big stuff .... Never worked on any always been in office or managing civil/structural stuff and now I'm domestic

I work for a firm now, doing boiler house installs and pipe fitting. Not doing that much steam work at the min, as doing school boiler houses and my steam work in mainly hospitals nowadays

yeah I see the civils version of NDT is different to that of pipefitters lol. Sorry about that:love::love:

Glad this ended amicably. I was gonna bang your heads together! Lol

One of my mates is a NDT Inspector offshore. Basically he goes to rigs that are due there 5 yearly inspections and he basically checks anything that's welded. Shackles , lifting equipment etc are yearly n everything offshore is metal and welded so by NDT Inspections are like cp12 equivalent for rigs lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Welding in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock