Search the forum,

Discuss Well Bend Me Over And Wedge It Sideways. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonG

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Well what a chew.

Did an ensuite over three months ago. Billed them, hadn't realised until mid November that they hadn't paid. They do a bank transfer and I've worked for them before.

So I gives them a call. Oh well the showers not working properly and there's a leak. Not a problem, I'll call this week to sort. Oh we are away. Well I haven't said when I'm coming.

All in all it's taken until the beginning of last week to get there and sort it. Told them I wanted payment sorting before Christmas as it's well overdue and the issues didn't warrant non payment anyway. They said no problem.

Nothing at all. Not answering phone calls, not replying to emails.

So this morning pinged off an e-mail. It's 3200, plus 5% for non payment immediately and an extra 5% for non payment on Oct 28th, Nov 28th Dec 28th.

It got them moving.

E-mail back. I want a breakdown of your invoice.

Normally I wouldn't do it, but I had an excel spreadsheet with it all on. Cut out the working out and beamed it across.

E-mail back. It's not on a letterhead, it looks like you are not putting it through your business.

Pinged back. That's why it's going into my business account!!!!! Dropped it into a word document and attached it.

I'm back there in the New Year, supposedly, to install an unvented cylinder.

If it still goes ahead I will go, strip out the old cylinder, put the hammer through it, and then find that oops the new cylinders not here. Bye.

Seriously considering getting out of this. I love my job but theses a$$holes make you look like a t!t when you can't pay your own bills.

Rant over, where's my tomato soup.

What was wrong with the shower and what was leaking and bit strange they didn't phone you up to report this

Gets your goat somtimes

I wouldn't be doing another job for them. I can do without customers who don't want to pay.

I put the handle on upside down on the shower valve. There was a drip under the basin. It traced back to the tap they supplied. Split o ring on the supplied flexi.

I put the handle on upside down on the shower valve. There was a drip under the basin. It traced back to the tap they supplied. Split o ring on the supplied flexi.

O so really tbh nothing any other works payment upfront :)

Keep it friendly and polite. You need to get back in the house before you cut off the water supply. Also blank the gas meter, to protect boiler.Shame about the cooker.

They complained they couldnt use the shower or basin for three months. Yet the glass and tiles were covered with water and soap marks.

Payment has been slower and slower. First job was 9 rads changing. Paid same day. Then orange room floor and 2 new rads. Paid next day. Then it was main bathroom and they asked if they could pay two weeks after as they were due some money. Which I agreed to and was paid as agreed. But they seem to have used that as my agreement for them to extract the urine.

I feel a tripping of the fire valve next time I'm passing.

Keep it friendly and polite. You need to get back in the house before you cut off the water supply. Also blank the gas meter, to protect boiler.Shame about the cooker.

It's oil country.

I feel your pain mate. I feel like having festive T&Cs people push the contractors payment right down the list when they've gotta feed their faces and buy the kids every toy and gadget under the sun. It takes the pee and is completely unacceptable

I hope you get your money, It would have ruined my xmas
Had one just before xmas for half the money youre owed - luckily ive managed to get my money. Wont be working for them again

THEIR materials, THEIR bathroom suite, YOUR debt! Ridiculous!
As Riley said, some people will pay only their bills that matter to them - food, electric, gas or oil bills and at this time of year their luxury Christmas costs, but their plumber can wait at least a couple of months on his money. Very convenient to have a £3K free loan!
I no longer allow large material costs to go unpaid if it is a new customer or someone I know is slow payer. I had one wealthy customer (foreign) who had the cheek to tell me to F off when I politely mentioned I hadn't billed him for the £2400 job I did for him. He had the nerve to admit the job was excellent quality. I got all my money eventually after a year of politeness, sending bills and texts. I hate having to almost grovel to get my money that come out of my bank that paid their materials plus my money owed for my wage. But what can you do initially, - only keep being civil in the hope you get your money?

Last edited:
But what can you do initially, - only keep being civil in the hope you get your money?

I am civil to the end and then onwards. No matter how much they don't deserve it. If I give them the grief they deserve I risk getting grief back, lies spread about me, bad online reviews. I'm like freaking Ghandi with my PR. Those who seek revenge dig two graves.

I am civil to the end and then onwards. No matter how much they don't deserve it. If I give them the grief they deserve I risk getting grief back, lies spread about me, bad online reviews. I'm like freaking Ghandi with my PR. Those who seek revenge dig two graves.

Totally agree. Ghandi also used wit,wisdom and determination, focused on the outcome he desired and was prepared to disrupt and inconvenience the establishment to achieve his aims.

Yep.... Ghandi would have always drained down and used dust sheets when ripping out a boiler/bathroom that hadn't been paid for

I wonder if you will still get the call for the cylinder change

No price given yet. But I think it might be very very expensive and I will be wanting a good wedge up front.

I dont do that many jobs where the materials and labour go well into four figures.However i still find on even small jobs 80 quid here and their i get excuses of payment delayed because , wife had the cash , i can't access computer, i can't find cash card etc etc etc.

I done a job about october time £120.00 , he said he would transfer money that night when his wife got in from work . Never heard a thing and still waiting calls, texts,emails and a bang on the door and no answer .

I find as a trade people like to treat you like a c nut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Well Bend Me Over And Wedge It Sideways. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock