Search the forum,

Discuss what boiler solution is best? Need a new boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aussiewantsaps2

My Keston 80 has stopped working and we have been getting quotes and varied solutions, I want the convenience of Combi but 2 out of 3 plumbers have said that isn't powerful or good enough for my home plus that the water tank a heatrae sadia megaflo is so good it better to keep that and replace the boiler. I have a 4 bed home with 1 bathroom with mixer shower and 13 radiators, family of 4 often needing to shower at short notice, the current system can be frustrating waiting for the water to boost etc. What's your thoughts, The quotes so far seem eye watering and include a flush etc so what would people think?

Any thing to qualify that statement, was looking for reasons not just taking a poll ��

I only work on oil boilers, but the principle is the same, - for starters, combi boilers are more complicated and with much more to go wrong.
But the main issue is a combi will not have the flow rates a Megaflow or other unvented cylinder have. Unvented units have the large hot water storage and basically full flow of tap capacity, unlike a combi which is limited. Combis heat the water as you use it, - whereas your Megaflow has it in store.
You actually already have the highly desired best set up in place.
It is a pity you don't have a second bathroom with an electric shower (one that heats its water) so that you have both options and won't always depend on having the Megaflow fully heated.

Last edited:
You can keep your Megaflow set up and get a combi, which could still heat the Megaflow on the heating side but also have its hot water output connected to just some hot supplies, but guess that won't suit you as you have only one bathroom.

if you do want a combi boiler look at the viessmann 111 it is a largeish storage combi that has an internal unvented storage tank that recharges as hot water is being used we have fitted 2 now and been very impressed.

A Combi is great. However, unvented systems (your current one) gives you the same benefit of mains power from every outlet like a Combi, however, with a Combi only 1 thing can work at a time, I. E heating will switch off when using the shower and also you may find you get low or poor flow if someone opens anot her outlet or flushes a loo when showering. Also WHEN your new boiler breaks down you will have no heating OR hot water, with your current setup you just turn on your immersion heater and will still all be able to shower. My solution, replace the boiler with a normal condensing boiler and turn you hot water to 24 hours that way it'll always be hot. A flush is often a good idea when installing a new boiler if it hasn't been done for a while but your installer can also Carr out a quick test to check the current state of your heating system. Hope this all made sense and helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to what boiler solution is best? Need a new boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Home owner looking for some advice pls. We have a megaflow system which we are considering removing as the tank takes up a lot of space and we don’t find we are using more than one shower or bath at a time. Our plan is to do this when the current boiler needs replacing (probably in the next...
Replies
Views
I have just had a boiler, hot water tank and power shower pump replaced on advice by my plumber. I have two separate boilers, heat/hotwater systems in the house. This boiler was replaced by a combi boiler as it only heats the lounge and master bed and provides hot water to en-suite bathroom and...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
PLUMBING ADVICE NEEDED Combi boiler in our house, downstairs water seems to be piping hot. Upstairs basin, bath and shower only ever seems to be lukewarm - so much so that no one even wants to bath as it never gets hot enough! Open to suggestions as to what it might be and if anyone can...
Replies
Views
T
Please advise me. I am a disabled pensioner. I had a wet room fitted just over a year ago using a local authority grant. Builder was employed by local authority. I had no say in who carried out the work. I have called the builder out under the guarantee several times for water leaks. The shower...
Replies
Views
TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
T
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock