Search the forum,

Discuss What dial does what on my Heat Interface Unit? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, I'm new to the forum so apologies for any informalities.

My HIU in my flat is receiving hot water from the communal boiler but it's not fully distributing the hot water around the central heating nor hot water taps.

In the attached image there are three adjustable thermostats. Any idea on what regulates what?

Many thanks.

Matt

Attachments

• IMG_2954.jpg
    IMG_2954.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 30
Is it a rented place if so put it back to the maintenance team / landlord

Tbh if it's been working fine it won't be as simple as upping a few stats, could be a few things

Do you know when the hiu was last serviced ?

Also anyone else having the same problems in the block

It was last serviced March 2016 so it's nearly due its next service. Anything I can adjust in the short that might help?

You can try turning the green one up a bit from 2.5 to 3 etc

Is the circulating pump running? Get a screwdriver and place the tip on the vent screw and the other end to your ear, you should hear it running. Are the zone valves opening? Is there a call for heat? Is the system pressure too low on the domestic side. As you can see there are a few things to check before you get much further.
Most HIU's run like a domestic boiler by using plate heat exchangers to give hydraulic separation between the primary circuit on the district heating system and the domestic house/flat. It should not be a problem for most heating engineers so give someone a call is my best advice to get up and running again.

Is the circulating pump running? Get a screwdriver and place the tip on the vent screw and the other end to your ear, you should hear it running. Are the zone valves opening? Is there a call for heat? Is the system pressure too low on the domestic side. As you can see there are a few things to check before you get much further.
Most HIU's run like a domestic boiler by using plate heat exchangers to give hydraulic separation between the primary circuit on the district heating system and the domestic house/flat. It should not be a problem for most heating engineers so give someone a call is my best advice to get up and running again.

Hi John, yes the pump is working and I can feel the water flow though it.

If you follow the pipe that is hot after the pump do you come to some zone valves? Small box like things

They are for thermostatic control by the looks of it. You probably have one for DHW (hot water) and one for the heating circuit and then finally one for the bypass. If you do fiddle remember the original settings that you can go back to!

Hi there, I'm new to the forum so apologies for any informalities.

My HIU in my flat is receiving hot water from the communal boiler but it's not fully distributing the hot water around the central heating nor hot water taps.

In the attached image there are three adjustable thermostats. Any idea on what regulates what?

Many thanks.

Matt

If you have any questions on what is a heat interface unit and how it really works, perhaps contacting experts to help you out is a good idea. Also, it is important that you avoid playing around with the dials since it might result in bigger problems. You can also search the Internet for various resources about HIUs that can give you more insights about this system. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What dial does what on my Heat Interface Unit? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock