Search the forum,

Discuss What is the best bath sealant? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The flex rubber strips that adhere to bath or shower tray, make a good upstand.

Please post link of such items!

Dow Corning goes black within a year or so, where used in places that are damp, like showers. Forever white is easier to use & garanteed to stay white 10yrs. Tec 7 is hard to use as a sealant, but grips clean surfaces well. The flex rubber strips that adhere to bath or shower tray, make a good upstand.

Dow goes black? then we are all done for! There's me thinking it was Rolls Royce stuff. :angry_smile:

I've never had any problems with Dow 785 and use it most of the time. I must admit I haven't tried many others brands, but I have used Ceresit once or twice and that seemed okay.

Please post link of such items!
One make of bath/shower seal is " Classic Seal ". It is a thin rubbery strip about 50 mm wide & you can get it in various lengths. Half of the width of it has a thick black adhesive & it comes with a paper you peel off as you stick it to tray/bath. It bonds immediately, so got to be right, but easy enough fit. It allows about 15mm movement I think. You end up with a 25mm thin up stand which can be tiled over. Really simple solution!

One make of bath/shower seal is " Classic Seal ". It is a thin rubbery strip about 50 mm wide & you can get it in various lengths. Half of the width of it has a thick black adhesive & it comes with a paper you peel off as you stick it to tray/bath. It bonds immediately, so got to be right, but easy enough fit. It allows about 15mm movement I think. You end up with a 25mm thin up stand which can be tiled over. Really simple solution!

Sweet good info best. do you think it could be adapted to work with wetrooms/ level access shower trays?

Dow goes black? then we are all done for! There's me thinking it was Rolls Royce stuff. :angry_smile:
I thought same, but found it going black where a lot dampness. Even a little black dot or two ruins look of jobs. Dow is harder to work with also.

Yep, it's really good at what it says, however, just hope you never have to take it off, the mastic never sets and you will find out that when you take it off, you have it all over you and end up binning what you have got it on due to it being on your knees, then on the floor, then on your hands and everything you touch, Thinners seems to be the only way to get it off you!

forever white is the dogs! but £5 a tube then scrape off with a fugi scraper (google fugi for those that dont know)
a great tool to give you a pro finish no more licking your finger!!

" Mrlennie " -Think it is only suitable for ordinary trays as well as baths & worktops, but not sure.

Last edited:
Dow 785 is great stuff. Don't use spit and your finger when tooling it up (as tempting as it is) as it will encourage mould growth.

I like it for three reasons....its thick and tools up well, it has Microbore antil fungal admix in it, and finally because I used it in my old bathroom and after 7 years it hadn't shrunk, discoloured, or delaminated. So I feel comfortable using it in peoples homes.

I'm just bumping this thread for no particular reason. If it isn't a current topic, don't worry about it, just ignore it and it'll move off the forum list before long. If it is a topic you'd like to reply to though, go ahead. :)

I'm just bumping this thread for no particular reason. If it isn't a current topic, don't worry about it, just ignore it and it'll move off the forum list before long. If it is a topic you'd like to reply to though, go ahead. :)

Any updates on this? Anything new that is better than Dow Corning 785?

Not sure this thread states it's the best does it?
There wasn't a clear winner, but the Dow Corning seemed to be the benchmark.
Since that was 6 years ago, and I was checking to see if there had been any significant new products since then

I use Dow Corning 785 too.
By the way, when people say go for the expensive stuff, the expensive stuff is not so expensive at about £10 a tube, though even 785 is at half that on Screwfix.

When you think the amount of trouble this sealant saves you, £5-£10 is a bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What is the best bath sealant? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock