Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss What is the plan where the bird is concerned? in the General Off-Topic Chat area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

That is a good argument against Turkey!
    It is supposed to be very healthy food, but I hate it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Recipe?

3. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

Why what's different where you are?
    I suspect you are German but may be well off the track with that?

4. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

What do you hate about it? is it just taste?

5. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

What for?
    Xmas Gravy
    Ox Cheek Gravy.
    Beef short rib gravy

6. Chuck

Chuck Active Member

Goose is the nicer meat IMO. A great way to cook it is to stick it in a low barbecue outside and use the oven for the trimmings. Discovered this by accident many years ago when we ended up on Xmas eve with a bird that was way too big to go in the oven. I was about to start taking pieces off with a hacksaw to make it fit when an in-law pointed out that the local garage was both open and flogging off barbecues left over from the summer at half price.

Anyway, this may be completely obvious/standard for people who do a lot of cooking, but I thought it was a really nifty solution.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  7. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Xmas gravy.

8. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Problems I hate about Turkeys is they run too fast, so are hard to catch, plus make far too much noise. It is no fun trying not to wake the farmer. ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

Watch this Muppet do what he does but leave out the star anise if you want my opinion.

Add it to the turkey/meat juice like he said then a bit of gravy browning and a sneaky teaspoon of marmite, whether you like it or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  10. helpsy

helpsy Plumber

Also has some naturally occuring substance in it that makes you sleepy after eating it.

11. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Seriously? That must be why I tend to have to fight falling asleep later on Christmas afternoon.
    I blame the excess food and the wine, but that doesn't effect me as much at other times of year.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

As long as it’s not the relatives you’re fighting or the relatives that make you sleepy.

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. marvoni

marvoni Active Member

Just procured a 3 kilo turkey. I cooked last years turkey in the weber braai (not sure of the UK name, pic below) and it was outstanding, the turkey was the first meat to run out so I'm doing the same again this year.
    download.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. marvoni

marvoni Active Member

Thought I'd let you know the turkey was epic...succulent, juicy and tasty. 3 kilos of bird was demolished in a single family sitting.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

How long did it take ?