Search the forum,

Discuss What materials can be used on hot water distribution pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Girl Plumber

Hi, allow me to introduce myself.
Im on my first year of a 2 year plumbing course and loving it.
Im busy revising right now for my hot water test, and one question is saying you can use the following materials on hot water distribution ...
Copper Pipe
Galvanised Steel
and Polybutylene pipe.

Why cant one use LCS?
thanks guys

Looking forward to reading up on the interest posts on this forum - looks great.

Thanks, so where can you use it? I was under the impression you could use it on cold water systems at least ... maybe Ive got the wrong end of the stick - maybe its for cold water distribution from a CWCS where you'll not be drinking that water anyway

Thanks Steveb

Hi girl plumber and welcome agree with previous posters rust! where in the east end are you from? I was born in Bethnal Green E2:)regards turnpin

Im in Barking ... but Im from NZ originally - been here 14 years

have worked with a few kiwi`s on site about 20 odd years ago good bunch of blokes but their plumbing was dreadful!!! :):) only kidding all the best with your course and as always
any questions you may have rest assured someone on here will have the answer:)regards turnpin

LCS is used in central heating runs. What brought you over here? I wanna go to NZ!

lcs you can use on heating systems mainly used in industrial situations.
you beat me to it resolute

Ah, right, thanks guys, so central heating but not perhaps normal hot water, as in for outlets (basins, taps, etc.)

It is a great place - as in very friendly and laidback socially, but very isolated physically, for example on your annual leave you're not going to get very far, flights are too expensive and long. Very expensive for goods as well. The cost of things is much higher due to importing -a pair of shoes that might cost for example 10% of your weekly salary, will cost 30% there. Its hard to get ahead.
You cant order anything online without a hullabaloo!, you have to go in physically to the shop and speak to the staff. Can be a good thing or a bad thing I guess.
A lot of people love it there, you at least dont have to put up with the relentless crowds like in London.

If you can sell a property or have money to take out there if emigrating, then you're laughing life will be 'well-good' for you out there. Some money is the key. Its not cheap out there like people seem to think, anywhere I think where the population is low its pricey.

You should visit resolute, you probably would love it. You only live once.

I might go back one day, but not for now ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Girl Plumber, I'm a big fan of NZ one of my best mates lives in Queenstown, went to see him a couple of years ago, we went snowboarding on Coronet (concrete lol) Peak, fantastic holiday.
LCS is fine with heating and chilled circuits as it's all dosed to the max with nitrite (inhibitor) no good with hws as Turnpin and Steveb have said.
Good luck with your studies

Thanks,
Yeah queenstown is a gem, I must admit
I took my otherhalf there and all round the s.island and he couldnt get over how nice it was.
good night all, and thanks for the advice

Can not beat a bit of old iron

[video=youtube;cBPDzAn15C8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBPDzAn15C8[/video]

and steptoe and son
:):)

LCS - Low carbon steel.

It used to be called malleble iron (MI) or black iron or just steel.
It rusts therefore is only used for gas, oil or heating.

You wouldn't like to lie in a bath of orange water would you?

Galvanised steel is very rarely used on domestic in this country. It suffers from mineral build up inside the pipe which will eventually restrict the flow. Moreso on hot than cold.
Reasons it is not used.
Harder and more time consuming to install.
Shorter lifespan than copper or plastics.

LCS - Low carbon steel.

It used to be called malleble iron (MI) or black iron or just steel.
It rusts therefore is only used for gas, oil or heating.

You wouldn't like to lie in a bath of orange water would you?

Galvanised steel is very rarely used on domestic in this country. It suffers from mineral build up inside the pipe which will eventually restrict the flow. Moreso on hot than cold.
Reasons it is not used.
Harder and more time consuming to install.
Shorter lifespan than copper or plastics.

Thanks Tamz - I see. So in the test it says galvanised steel but you probably wouldnt bother in the real world. Cheers

Ah, right, thanks guys, so central heating but not perhaps normal hot water, as in for outlets (basins, taps, etc.)

It is a great place - as in very friendly and laidback socially, but very isolated physically, for example on your annual leave you're not going to get very far, flights are too expensive and long. Very expensive for goods as well. The cost of things is much higher due to importing -a pair of shoes that might cost for example 10% of your weekly salary, will cost 30% there. Its hard to get ahead.
You cant order anything online without a hullabaloo!, you have to go in physically to the shop and speak to the staff. Can be a good thing or a bad thing I guess.
A lot of people love it there, you at least dont have to put up with the relentless crowds like in London.

If you can sell a property or have money to take out there if emigrating, then you're laughing life will be 'well-good' for you out there. Some money is the key. Its not cheap out there like people seem to think, anywhere I think where the population is low its pricey.

You should visit resolute, you probably would love it. You only live once.

I might go back one day, but not for now ...

I have visited, twice and loved it both times! Haven't got much money at the mo but hoping to get sorted and get out there again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What materials can be used on hot water distribution pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock