Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss what order does the floor construction need to be for a bathroom floor ? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. deanomc

deanomc New Member

So this is what I am after. Electric underfloor heating under tiles on a fully waterproof bathroom floor. Currently I have stripped everything off to the joists. This is what I am thinking but looking for some confirmation before I begin. Here are the options.

option 1

1 - Joists (which are 400mm apart),
    2 - 100mm Kingspan Insulation in between joists
    3 - 22mm plywood,
    4 - Tanking kit,
    5 - thermoboard,
    6 - Electric UFH matts
    7 - Flexible tile adhesive
    8 - Tiles

Option 2

1 - Joists (which are 400mm apart),
    2 - 100mm Kingspan Insulation in between joists
    3 - 22mm plywood,
    4 - Tanking kit,
    5 - thermoboard,
    6 - Electric UFH matts
    7 - Lightweight screed
    7 - Flexible tile adhesive
    8 - Tiles

Option 3 - Other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

2. AlexGas

AlexGas Plumber GSR

What country are you in?

3. deanomc

deanomc New Member

England, UK.

4. Howsie

Howsie Plumber

Bear in mind the electric UFH is expensive to run and not really designed to heat a room.

• Like Like x 1
  5. deanomc

deanomc New Member

I was thinking of running a wet system but due to time restrictions I have gone with the electric. Yes, I understand it will not heat the room even with a 200W output so I am also adding a standard rad in there too. Room size is small 3 x 1.5.

6. Howsie

Howsie Plumber

Your list confused me there for a second, you've two '7's in the second one. WRT the screed, it depends on what UFH matt you're using. What does it state in the MI's?

• Like Like x 1
  7. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

if you do go elec underfloor buy the best kit you can afford dont skimp as once its down your screwed if it fails after a year

8. mache

mache Active Member

Not an expert but I would have thought tanking kit after your thermo board (but check with tanking supplier what they recommend with regard to Max power rating to be used from heating mat). Also use SLC to cover heating mat cables. Might also be worth cross referencing advice on tilers forum which is another good and helpful forum like this one. Are you tiling yourself?? If not then also check with your tiler how much of the prep he wants you to do. A successful DIY wet room is possible but not to be taken on lightly.

9. plumben

plumben Plumber

I'd of though electric matt then tanking kit although I've never done electric matt ufh and always best to go with what the manufacturer recommends

10. Radioman

Radioman Active Member

Assuming the room is upstairs you don't need the kingspan. All electric underfloor manufacturers will give you the spec for their install. For example warmup24 install manual says, 15mm ply glued and screwed, 12.5 mm min duckaboard glued and screwed, heat mat and thermostat, latex to cover mat completely, flexible tile adhesive buttered and notched to guarantee no air pockets, tile and grout. In addition the mat resistance must be tested at each stage of the install and recorded on the certification document, all electrical connections are notifiable Part P, mat cannot be turned on until the tile has set up for 48 hours after grout. I did loads back in the day. In my experience very few of my customers had it turned on after getting the first electric bill! It's not instant heat and has to be controlled on and off on a regular basis to give the heat store time to charge and release. In my experience the general public could not get their heads around it.

Final word, the last one we did failed days after install. The manufacturer never got it working. Cost me a lot of money, never did another.

• Like Like x 2