Search the forum,

Discuss What size are my gas pipes? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say 25mm

Can I ask why your asking ?

I was told pipes may need upgrading for combi boiler.

I attach another photo.
Thanks!

IMG_20171125_184649.jpg

What size combi boiler?

???

That is the right pipe as it's the main gas into your flat

Irrelevant :)

I'm just trying to find out the size of these pipes, that's all I need to know :) They may even be the wrong pipes for the current boiler. Thx.
Don't think you need any upgrade for a standard boiler. Your answers seem a little bit odd to me.

Post a picture of the gas pipe as it enters the Flat, if accessible and the pipe close to the boiler.

I'm not sure why people are asking whether I'm using a combi boilers or not. I found out whilst it's not optimal (and perhaps dangerous?) you can run either size pipes on either sort of boiler. This is one of the reasons why I am asking one specific question, I do not want people to make assumptions and then give me the wrong answer.

I just need to know what size pipes I have. It's a very simple question and it's all I need to know. Thanks for help.

Thanks.

I'm not sure why people are asking whether I'm using a combi boilers or not. I found out whilst it's not optimal (and perhaps dangerous?) you can run either size pipes on either sort of boiler. This is one of the reasons why I am asking one specific question, I do not want people to make assumptions and then give me the wrong answer.

I just need to know what size pipes I have. It's a very simple question and it's all I need to know. Thanks for help.

Thanks.
The engineers in here are highly professional and know their trade. There are reasons why they ask you these questions. Do not get me wrong but if you cannot answer their question how can we answer your questions?
you should be happy that people want to help you and not to question their questions. As explained above it has a reason why they asked you.

I am already talking to a plumber who says I need to upgrade the pipes because they are the wrong size. I am double checking on these forums to see what size pipes I have, I have already done research.

From what I see some of you guys are going to tell me what size pipes I have on the basis of what sort of boiler I have. That's what I don't want to happen, I am supplying photos so people can tell me what I actually have.

If not please explain why you need to know. I am all ears. A reminder all I'm trying to find out is what size pipes I have, it's just that simple. Appreciated.

The thing is you won't be able to upgrade / change the yellow pipe your stuck with it

1. What you have is called TracPipe. Measure the outside diameter. If this is 28mm, you have (nominal) 22mm pipe. If 35mm OD, then 28mm nominal. If its only OD 22mm you have 15mm nominal.
2. The size of pipe you need depends on the pressure drop between the meter and the boiler, which in turn depends on the pressure loss in the pipework and fittings between meter and boiler, which is a (non-linear) function of distance, bore and surface finish. You must also allow for other appliances fed from the same gas line.
3. Your picture shows two meters. Assuming there is at least one other property in your development, you may find there is a covenant in your lease or deeds which prevents you from installing a combi boiler.

Just knowing what size pipe you have is no use to you!!!
To know if it's too small you need other information about all your gas appliances, length of run, no of bends etc etc.

How do you expect an answer from half a story? Give the full story and get a good answer from the gas pro's on here.

If you don't trust the guy telling you the pipes need upgrading get somebody else in.

But based on your attitude just on a couple of posts I would put you in the 'wouldn't touch with a barge pole'.

Hi

Just wow. This really is getting into Godwin's law/Chinese whispers scenario.

I'm not asking for any more advise about anything else at all. I"m fully aware of what needs to happen with my boiler and piping. I've already researched this.

I just have ONE simple question, what size are these pipes by looking at these photos supplied. I've asked the same question over and over again from the beginning, saying I will take more photos if they are unclear.

If you can't tell by the photos I've supplied or photos I will supply you if you ask me, then fair enough, thankyou, please find another another thread ! I JUST need to find out the size of these pipes it's that simple!!

1. What you have is called TracPipe. Measure the outside diameter. If this is 28mm, you have (nominal) 22mm pipe. If 35mm OD, then 28mm nominal. If its only OD 22mm you have 15mm nominal.

Thanks appreciated, I'll check this.

What does the plumber say ?

Yeah well I don't think I'll get anywhere. I guess if I went into a a French cheese factory with some random cheese and asked staff what sort of cheese this is, I would expect to be asked why I need to know, why I should have another type of cheese, why it would be impossible to swap it for another type of cheese, why I would die if I eat the cheese, asked what did the supplier say it was, and told not be so rude and shut up and answer their expert questions. Anything apart from getting a direct answer to my actual question... Can somebody bl**dy tell me what cheese this is please because I would like to know because yes I just need a pair of eyes (and no I can't eat it I'm allergic to milk). Anyway you'll eventually have me apologise for invading Poland if I stick around here.

The thread was called "What size are my gas pipes?".

Thanks Steadyon for your help and taking me at face value.

Last edited:
Yeah well I don't think I'll get anywhere. I guess if I went into a a French cheese factory with some random cheese ...

What would actually happen is you wouldn't even get through the gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What size are my gas pipes? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock