Search the forum,

Discuss When Customer Says You're Too Expensive in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not every joint I do is perfect and no one here can claim that every joint they do is, but just limit the risk of a messy joint, I personally touch the solder at the rear of the joint to fill it where if it did run you wouldn't see it, it doesn't take any extra time to solder other any other method. But we all have different gripes and beliefs
I do this, which is great for upright joints, what do you do on horizontal joints? Gravity does seem to pull it down!!

Whilst the heat is still applied a quick flick with the tip of the solder over the snot usually knocks it off, I am also guilty of brushing it off with the flux brush if I notice it before it's set

Why not use end feed fittings & leaded solder for all heating work? Less heat needed & cheaper. You really can't go wrong & you can wipe the joint easily even when you pull the flame off.
Lead free soldering I admit I find I have to concentrate to do them tidy.

I have never used leaded solder ......

You must be too young! :smile:
Try it & you won't want to use the lead free.
Lead solder melts quicker & hardens slower & frankly is very easy on end feed soldering.
Obviously I wouldn't use it on anything other than heating pipes.

Unleaded is always on a green roll, leaded is on yellow and sometimes red.

I won't mix them up. I mentioned on here that most tap fittings (including kitchen taps) have brass containing lead in them so it is amusing that we are now so hot on this. I agree with the sentiment.

Right now I'm using lead free for everything as I bought a bulk load of it. Enough to last me a couple of years, but I should buy a roll of leaded as I'll be back to almost twenty quid a roll of unleaded after this lot runs out.

You must be too young! :smile:
Try it & you won't want to use the lead free.
Lead solder melts quicker & hardens slower & frankly is very easy on end feed soldering.
Obviously I wouldn't use it on anything other than heating pipes.

Haha, im only 21.....
i'll grab a roll and give it a go.

I only really solder gas pipe don't really do much potable find lead solder much easier to use and needs smaller flame on your blowlamp.

I used only Butane gas for years. Habit really, but more than powerful enough for up to 28mm except in severe weather/strong winds outside or wet pipes. These modern torches like the Surefire (I use) are a bit too powerful for most normal soldering & i find i need to back off with the flame.
I use leaded solder with Fluxite traditional flux & the solder flows just as if it was heated grease. You can wipe the joint with a cotton rag before it hardens & then touch of heat again.

Haha, im only 21.....
i'll grab a roll and give it a go.

21 !!! Oh I remember the days, so much hope and ambition, knees didn't hurt back then either. It makes me sad typing this as until some younger comes along pointing out there youth I still think of myself as that same 21 year old walking into customers houses wondering if they were going to take me seriously... I'd do it all over again and I wouldn't change a thing

21 !!! Oh I remember the days, so much hope and ambition, knees didn't hurt back then either. It makes me sad typing this as until some younger comes along pointing out there youth I still think of myself as that same 21 year old walking into customers houses wondering if they were going to take me seriously... I'd do it all over again and I wouldn't change a thing

All i would change so far would have been starting this at 16 instead of 18!

Me too! I could have worked flat out occasionally at heavy manual work on a 12 or more hour day & just got up the next morning no aches & well rested!
Now I still think of myself as young but anytime I have an awkward job I seem to hurt the next day.

Well my only tip is this! If you are on your way home from a pleasant days work and think to yourself I feel lucky I'm going to grab a lotto ticket on the way home and as you are filling it out decide to change a few numbers DONT!!

Just stick with the same numbers!!!

for gods sake why didn't I just play the usual numbers

Last edited:
Well my only tip is this! If you are on your way home from a pleasant days work and think to yourself I feel lucky I'm going to grab a lotto ticket on the way home and as you are filling it out decide to change a few numbers DONT!!

Just stick with the same numbers!!!

for gods sake why didn't I just play the usual numbers

Lol! That's why I never did same numbers as I would never forgive myself if I missed a week & they won decent money.
I am too miserable to waste ÂŁ2 on it anyhow & the odds are bad. Guess if you aren't in, you can't win though.

It wasn't millions but I'd be mortgage free and driving a Bentley with a pipe rack on its roof

It wasn't millions but I'd be mortgage free and driving a Bentley with a pipe rack on its roof

I doubt whether you could get anything suitable for Bentley.
Not from Bentley anyway.

Years ago, I had a customer who drove a Rolls Royce, and he was so annoyed that he couldn't get a tow ball fitted.
He wrote to Rolls Royce and complained.
He actually got a reply that stated they were not suitable / available for the model he bought.
He had an after market one installed - just so he could tow his golf cart to the golf course.
He played at different golf courses around Melbourne so he couldn't leave his cart at one.
Everyone to their own - I wish I had his troubles.

Don't mind me while I bump some threads in the plumbing forum category. This thread might not be a current topic, if it isn't, just let it drop off the list.

If you DO want to reply to it, go ahead, that's fine. Your post might add some value to the thread and help newer members in the future.

Don't mind me while I reply to a few of the threads. We need the new thread pages to be picked up correctly. If this thread isn't current, just visit the plumbing forum and post your own new thread or checkout the other existing threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to When Customer Says You're Too Expensive in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock