Search the forum,

Discuss Where can I find a dual temperature sensor controller? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Background
24 apartments are equipped with thermal stores of (100 to 150 litres) with immersion heater capability. Individual demand of each apartment for domestic hot water varies greatly in timing and volume. Thus the oil boiler is required to work for long periods which is uneconomical.

Currently the thermal stores are indirectly heated with hot water at ~80C distributed from the boiler room. There are large heat losses from the circuit to the 18th century building and it is likely hot water in the thermal stores is cooled overnight by the system through gravity flow after shutdown and on start-up in the morning when cooler water in the system begins to circulate again.

Requirement
Due to constraints, in the first instance the requirement is for a controller associated with each thermal store which will isolate the thermal store from the main boiler circuit when the temperature of the water in the thermal store is greater than that of the water circulating in the supply pipe. The valve could be a normally open or normally closed valve. Such a system will also permit particular residents to increase the temperature of their water supply using their immersion heater without the risk of their (separately paid for) hot water being circulated around the building.

It is envisioned that a controller would monitor the temperature of the thermal store and the supply pipe, compare the two, and open or close the valve or valves on the main supply pipe accordingly. Coincidentally it would be essential that the immersion heater would not operate unless the valve supplying (lower temperature) water from the boiler was closed.

Can anyone recommend such equipment?

Many thanks Snowhead. It looks like this will do the job and cheaper than some other equipment I have seen on line. Do you see any problem with being able to actuate the valve from both the N322s and the immersion timer as in the attached draft circuit?

Attachments

• Flat 15 temp controller system v1.pdf
    148 KB · Views: 7

Reply to Where can I find a dual temperature sensor controller? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock