Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Which flexi hose for new bath taps? in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. brendanxx

brendanxx New Member

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

No flexi is best (eg hard pipe it in copper)

But if access is a problem/ you can't hard pipe it go for a good quality full bore with non ISO flexi and put a valve before the flexi

I only say this if you have to change the flexi / washer fails you need to drain down

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber

Agree with Shaun, and get a WRAS approved flexi, if you must.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. brendanxx

brendanxx New Member

Cheers both, sadly I'm a pensioner and good plumbers can be pricey (and elusive) so have to do work myself - copper piping would be great but, alas, beyond me. Will certainly get WRAS approved, non ISO etc flexi - many thanks
    Brendan

5. Darren Jackson

Darren Jackson Plumber GSR

Yes a 22mm x 3/4 non iso flexi is what you need if you can't do copper. But put a 22mm full bore compression valve before it preferably a lever type rather than a screwdriver slotted type iso valve.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber

What is wrong with flexis ? Don’t quite understand why most people prefer hard copper . nothing wrong with flexis. Is just the old way of plumbing in uk?

7. ShaunCorbs

flexis only last in reality 5 years before they start to get dicey

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber

Fair enough, but what is the reason that they get ruined after 5years ? We in Germany fit them in flexis and there are hardly any issues. Is that due to the difference of water ? I would think your warpter is a lot harder and has a huge amount of scale.

9. ShaunCorbs

they split and dont have a clue

10. brendanxx

brendanxx New Member

I'm pretty much a beginner here so please bear with me, but on the Screwfix site it doesn't mention whether a the speedfit flexi hoses are full bore or not (or WRAS) - the one I originally mentioned is 10mm but I see others at 13mm - is the 13mm full bore?
    Also non-iso - does that mean it hasn't got an isolating valve?
    Because space is very limited behind bath I want to use a pushfit flexi - does that rule out a full bore compression valve before it?

11. brendanxx

brendanxx New Member

Re. compression valve would I get a length of 22mm copper and stick it in the valve then put the pushfit on that?

12. ShaunCorbs

yes 13mm would be better

correct

no just need a piece of 22mm or 15mm between the flex and valve

13. Darren Jackson

Darren Jackson Plumber GSR

I've seen too many in my time that have burst and caused major flooding and colapsed ceilings. Mostley due to incorectly fitting it by the homeowner overtightening them, kinking and twisting them or installed under too much stress. The ones that come with a built in iso are useless when you need to change the flexy in the future thats why better off with a seperate one on before it, if you were wondering why.

14. brendanxx

brendanxx New Member

Many thanks Darren, Shaun etc. - much clearer now. Bit scary about the bursting side of things, but not having the dosh to pay for a plumber I seem to have few, if any, options. As I plan to have a pushfit then the over tightening would only be a risk at the tap end I assume and that's much less risky than tightening with an olive - have I got that right? Oh and any advice on how to get a couple of short pieces of 22mm copper? As I said, money is short.

15. quality

quality Plumber GSR

Post your location I am sure if anyone is local they will help out a pensioner in need

• Agree Agree x 1