Discuss Which Outlet Should I Use From HW Cylinder? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Just after an opinion on where to tap off the HW Cylinder to feed a downstairs shower (Pumped)

I fitted a new Cylinder last year with an extra 22mm tapping (marked 2 on the picture) to feed a shower pump in the upstairs bathroom for the shower and basin tap.

I am now installing the downstairs bathroom and would like some advice as to where I should take the feed from please?

The outlet on the top of the Cylinder feeds the only hot taps in the kitchen and downstairs bathroom so I am presuming this would be the best place to take it from in case (very likely) we have both showers running at the same time.

I put an isolator on the 2nd outlet for the shower with the intention of coming off this pipe to do this job but now thinking it would be best to come off the top pipe so if so do I have to drain the whole tank or is there a way I can come off the top pipe without draining the whole cylinder?

Many Thanks in advance!!

Hot Water Map.jpg

2n port eg side it's a secondary/ pump port

Wow That was fast! thank you so much! so the 22mm secondary tapping should be enough to feed both showers simultaneously :)

Thank you!

That all depends on your head pressure eg feeding the cylinder

It will run the pump and bath separately but combined that's a lot of water that needs to be supplied and heated

Have you any idea the capacity of the cistern/tank that is in the loft

The reason that question was asked, is because EVERY pump manufacturer will tell you you need to double the std 25 gallons normally in sat in a loft.

Why? Because you will plough through huge amounts of water when it's pumped and it is dangerous to potentially run out of cold water before you run out of hot - scalded people in showers tend not to forgive! That is also why the cold feed to the pump MUST be separate and the outlet from the tanks taken from BELOW the outlet feeding the HW cylinder as well as some other potentially serious considerations.

Many people then turn up the hot water temp to try to get a bit more 'duty' from their system because their stored HW is too small in volume. DON'T. Your pump simply will not stand running one end at over 60 degrees for very long. Life expectancy will be limited and NO WARRANTY will be honoured. They have seen far to many fools try to pull the wool over their eyes believe me.

Obviously the electrical supply to the pump must be appropriately installed and signed off by a Part P installer as safe too. Taking it off a redundant immersion supply is not an option.

You have now been informed. ;)

That all depends on your head pressure eg feeding the cylinder

It will run the pump and bath separately but combined that's a lot of water that needs to be supplied and heated

Hi, I have no idea what head pressure I have but I know it fills & heats very very quickly (brand new boiler) the upstairs shower runs off a grundfos pump & the downstairs is a Mira Digital, and I replaced this cylinder earlier in the year to an 1850x450 (looks like a missile!) :-D to cater for the amount of water used with two showers.

Hi, I have no idea what head pressure I have but I know it fills & heats very very quickly (brand new boiler) the upstairs shower runs off a grundfos pump & the downstairs is a Mira Digital, and I replaced this cylinder earlier in the year to an 1850x450 (looks like a missile!) :-D to cater for the amount of water used with two showers.

Well I have some news for. Your downstairs shower WILL NOT work if you pump it. Mira digital showers do not work on a pumped supply. Hard lines.

The reason that question was asked, is because EVERY pump manufacturer will tell you you need to double the std 25 gallons normally in sat in a loft.

Why? Because you will plough through huge amounts of water when it's pumped and it is dangerous to potentially run out of cold water before you run out of hot - scalded people in showers tend not to forgive! That is also why the cold feed to the pump MUST be separate and the outlet from the tanks taken from BELOW the outlet feeding the HW cylinder as well as some other potentially serious considerations.

Many people then turn up the hot water temp to try to get a bit more 'duty' from their system because their stored HW is too small in volume. DON'T. Your pump simply will not stand running one end at over 60 degrees for very long. Life expectancy will be limited and NO WARRANTY will be honoured. They have seen far to many fools try to pull the wool over their eyes believe me.

Obviously the electrical supply to the pump must be appropriately installed and signed off by a Part P installer as safe too. Taking it off a redundant immersion supply is not an option.

You have now been informed. ;)

Hi, I have 2 lofts, there is a 50 gallon cold water storage in each, 1 supplies the Upstairs shower & the other will supply the downstairs so well covered! :)

Well I have some news for. Your downstairs shower WILL NOT work if you pump it. Mira digital showers do not work on a pumped supply. Hard lines.

Hi, sorry I am confused? the Mira is not supplied by a pumped supply? that is the question of the whole thread, where to take the supply from the cylinder to feed it

Hi, I have 2 lofts, there is a 50 gallon cold water storage in each, 1 supplies the Upstairs shower & the other will supply the downstairs so well covered! :)

Hi, sorry I am confused? the Mira is not supplied by a pumped supply? that is the question of the whole thread, where to take the supply from the cylinder to feed it

So is the Mira a pumped version?

Also each shower pump has it's own RCBO on the consumer unit plus and isolator switch outside each bathroom. I know that it is not necassary as the showers are not electric but I like overkill :)

Reply to Which Outlet Should I Use From HW Cylinder? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back