Search the forum,

Discuss Which side for a bleed valve. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am replacing a standard radiator on a combi boiler central heating system with a modern reproduction of an old style 4 column radiator. It states that the bleed valve MUST be on the side opposite the feed but most advise I can find states it doesn't matter. I don't know yet which side is which (already removed old one) so I've 50/50 chance of being right but does it really matter and why would they advise this. Thanks.

Always other side of trv but if it's a colum rad like a towel rail doesn't matter

It's not a towel rad but an old fashioned one like the old ones in schools etc

I see like the old cast iron ones then if you can other side to trv

When I've put rads in I've made a very slight rise to the end where the AV is to help get rid of air. CI rads are usually floor standing and level so there will always be a bit of air in the top. if you've got bottom valve connections it won't make any difference which side the AV goes.

Just incase you have bi directional valves then don't assume the thermostat is the flow, put heating on and feel which side gets warm first go for the opposite, obviously if rad hasn't been fitted then just put them in , u can always swap them over ,

With a lot of these new style column radiators they have a baffle/dispersion plate inside the radiator to help water to flow around the rad properly. If that side is on the return it can cause restrictions on the throughput. Had this issue with acova rads on a job.

I always put bleed valve on right hand side as most, people are right handed.

I can't recall exactly but I think this is a a acova. It states in the installation notes
'Very important. When connecting the pipe work to the radiator the water MUST enter the radiator at the bottom corner diagonally opposite the air vent and exit at the bottom corner below the air vent'

Fit 2 ? Lol

The bleed valve is fixed on one side and you can't change it or fit one the other side. I have found out the feed and am in the process of tracing it to the rad. I want to sort it prior to filling it. The boiler is in the garage and the pipe to the radiator goes through the wall into the kitchen. I have fitted the rad and if I do have to swap it around the fitting brackets will almost certainly have marked the radiator which will be visible if I have to turn it around. Still that's life. I was just hoping it wouldn't matter but I'll do as it says. Thanks all for replies.

Just to close this I traced the pipes and as luck would have it it was connected as per the fitting recommendations is bleed valve opposite feed. I did the lottery and wasn't so lucky.
I think Stoney Ground had the answer so thanks especially to you and all that bothered to reply.

This might seem a daft question but there is some logic in it.

I always put the bleed vavle on the right hand side (with the exception of those which are inaccessble) so when filling up a system, everyone knows which side of the rad to go to. On big systems, on a Friday night when filling, you do not want to waste time on every rad guessing which side the bleed valve is on.

On a modern pressurized system it does not really matter as the pressure in the system has much more influence through compacting the air bubble than the flow ever could have.
(Provided you don't use a Magna Pro on your 5 rad system to overcome your 50+m of DN6)

Gone are the times when you hang a radiator for your gravity system with a slope to ease bleading.

So pick the side that is easier to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an update. Damn and blast. The room this radiator is in we have a log burner so I haven't even filled this rad until today. And somewhere along the way I have miscalculated and the feed is the wrong side ie below the bleed valve not above it. So I rang technical support and enquired why they specify the instructions they do. It has internal baffles to direct the water around so connected the wrong way it may have cool spots and will not achieve its rated output. Having said that it is getting scalding hot with no obvious cold spots so I'll leave it for now and turn it around perhaps when the weather warms up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Which side for a bleed valve. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning all. I hope this is the correct place for this post. If not i'll happily move it to another forum area. I am renovating a property and the old cast iron radiators need a refresh, and i'm going to fit some new bleed valves amongst other things. The female thread in most of the rads...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
Hi,

Our heating stopped working today. We've got a Veissmann boiler that's under a year old, and an older Megaflow cylinder, and two diverter valves (all about 10 years old). We also use a Hive thermostat.

When I boost the hot water with Hive, the receiver near the boiler shows it's...
Replies
Views
Hey guys in the know. I have paid for a heating and plumbing contract and had to pay my excess 3 times for the same thing still not fixed. The issue is quite simple to repair not sure why any one of the 2 plumbers could not fix it. Why am I paying for cover. The auto air vents in part of the...
Replies
Views
I have just moved into a late 1990s new-build house with a small bore (about 1/2" OD pipes) gas fired boiler central heating system. All the normal radiators get hot but two of the three towel heater/radiators don't get hot and the pipes feeding them are cool to the touch even after the boiler...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock