Search the forum,

Discuss Which unvented indirect cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ro74

I am looking for some advice on which 150litre indirect invented stainless cylinder to buy. We were going for a Gledhill, but the plumbers merchant is suggesting an Elson Zircon would be as good, but cheaper. Any recommendations on which to buy, or any other better brands would be much appreciated. It would be working with an existing Worcester Bosch, Greenstar, highflow 440 floor standing combi. Thanks

We haven't had that advice yet, speaking to a few different WB approved installers so that we can get some servicing on the boiler at the same time as the cylinder installation. Just looking for some back ground advice so that we can proceed with a bit of knowledge.

I personally like Vaillant cylinders.
They, along with other manufacturers do a dual coil cylinder ( The Aurastore ), which is good if you may be thinking of adding solar panels now or even at a later date.

Rule 1:
Don't take advice from Plumbers Merchants if you don't know much about the products you require.
These guy's are good at selling products with the highest margins for them, and take no responsibility for them after installation.

It would be best to take recommendations from installers because they are the ones you will be calling when things go wrong.
Once you have recommendations from the installers then you should do searches on the products they recommend.

Santon
RM

There are plenty of good makes tbh, normally follow your installers advise as they will have a preference based on installation and servicing experience. Whichever you go for make sure it's serviced every year with the boiler.

Ahem!

Any source of advice can be biased, and it always helps to understand the potential bias of the advisor when evaluating their input.

Hi Ray,

The statement was fairly broad....and based on seeing homeowners end up with something that doesn't suit.

You don't deal with the General Public, so you are fairly sheltered with advising what items / systems they require and what is suitable to be installed.

Over the years I have been asked to install appliances / systems that customers have bought themselves through advice from Plumbing Suppliers.
1: They pay way over what I would pay for the materials / equipment.
2: A lot of the time the equipment is not correctly sized or suitable to be installed in the property.

I'm not saying Merchants aren't entitled to make money, nor am I saying Plumbers aren't biased towards brands and products.

At the end of the day, this customer wants to find out what systems are suitable for his situation. It would be best for him to have a couple of reputable plumbers give him advice on what is best for him.

He doesn't know what is best for him, that's why he went to the Merchants first and then came on here to see if what the Merchants suggested are suitable.

He may end up buying something that no one wants to install - nor guarantee the installation
His first port of call won't be to the Merchant that supplied the goods, it will be the Plumber that installed the system.

if customers want to supply themselves, they are usually advised that any guarantee is between them and where they purchased the materials. the only guarantee offered by the plumber/gas engineer will be for their workmanship in fitting said item/s. any problems and they will have sort with their supplier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Which unvented indirect cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, looking for some recommendations for a slimline indirect unvented cylinder to go with a new system boiler that we're having installed soon. Only need around 120/125 ltr for our usage and could possibly make do with 100. Been looking at a few different brands including the Megaflo which...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a 300L unvented indirect cylinder to work with a standard heat only boiler. I may have solar panels in the future, but likely the PV kind rather than the thermal kind, and won't be having heat pump in the future. So the cylinder would be connected to the boiler at...
Replies
Views
Hello! I have a new Vaillant boiler being installed and will install a new cylinder at the same time. Our installer is recommending a UK Cylinders ProLite Air twin coil solar indirect unvented cylinder 300ltr. According to specs the standing heat loss is 1.80 kWh/24h which seems pretty decent...
Replies
Views
    • Funny
Hi guys, I have a question regarding converting an open vent system (copper cylinder) to pressurized, reason being not enough drop from the loft to power a shower, while i know the common advice is to buy a special unvented cylinder I can see no reason why an unvented copper cylinder cannot be...
Replies
Views
Is there a definitive answer to this? We have a stainless steel everflo unvented cylinder hooked up to a Worcester Bosch boiler, and are thinking of getting a water softener as were in quite a hard water area. I've looked around, but can't seem to find a clear answer as to whether a water...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock