Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss Whole house underfloor heating as only heat source. Yes or No? in the Underfloor Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. dazboj

dazboj New Member

I'm having a full house refurb and extensions built and had always been keen to have underfloor heating and no radiators. We don't have any plans for a fire or burner either.

Does anyone have any experience living solely with UFH?
    Would you recommend it or should I maybe go with UFH for the large kitchen diner and rads in the bedrooms?
    I estimate the house to end up approximately 220m2. How many thousands do think I should put aside for something of this scale.

Thanks

2. snowhead

snowhead Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
  3. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Don't put underfloor in bedrooms, no point.

4. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

Underfloor downstairs, rads upstairs.

5. dazboj

dazboj New Member

Thanks guys. I think I've decided to drop the whole house idea.
    I'll probably go for upstairs in 2 bathrooms, and downstairs everywhere except living room as I'd rather have a nice thick pile carpet.

6. Gray0689

Gray0689 Trusted Plumber GSR

And why is that??

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gray0689

Gray0689 Trusted Plumber GSR

Underfloor heating is perfect for a full house
    As long as the calcs work out
    House needs to be thermal efficient
    And a liquid screed is a very good option

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Depends how big the room is but most of the underfloor would be covered by bed/ furniture

9. StephenF

StephenF New Member

UFH throughout - it is suitable floor all floor types / coverings. Much reduced running cost, no rads on walls (other than bathroom towel rails) - no issue with it in bedrooms. Far more comfortable & far easier to control.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheFloorHeatingStore

TheFloorHeatingStore New Member

Absolutely. You can still have your carpet in bedrooms. Carpet companies not have tog ratings for their carpets and underlays. much nicer than unslightly radiators

11. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Absolute waste of money in bedrooms.

Why the need for peak or background heating in a room that is either unoccupied or you are wrapped in a 13.5 tog quilt.

Money to burn then crack on. Failing that then rads on a seperate zone for the bedrooms.

12. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

13. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

With those old Victorian properties the first problem you'll have is the insulation. The floors and walls need to be very good insulated otherwise you will have too much heat loss / basically you'd heat for nothing. Like Simon said already is no point of having ufh in bedrooms. Bathrooms and big kitchen are great.