Search the forum,

Discuss Why would an olive need to be changed? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

J

Jasmine

Hi,

I had some taps changed last year and it turns out one had a very slow leak. It caused quite a lot of damage and the company that fitted them are trying to not accept liability.

The report from the engineer says ''IV to hot tap 3rd floor bathroom leaking, replaced olive, all dry and tested.''

The taps were fitted on the 29th of September and they were fixed on the 17th of December, is there any other reason the olive would need to be replaced so soon after being fitted other than being fitted incorrectly?

Thanks for your help!

Who fitted the isolation valve (IV?)?
1. If it was a new one fitted by the installers, then the fault is clearly their fault.
2. If they connected to an existing isolation valve, it is more complicated:
2a. If the leak was from the tap side of the IV then clearly their fault.
2b. If the leak was from the inlet side of the IV it could be:
2bi. A pre-existing fault which was probably not their fault, although an obvious leak should have been reported to you, and with your permission corrected at an additional charge.
2bii. Caused by the installer not securing the IV while tightening the outlet connection, thus possibly damaging the inlet connection.

The difficulty is that you probably have no way of telling which of the above is the case unless you know what was there prior to installation. Unless you have proof you are probably wasting your time trying to attribute blame. You could try making a claim on your own insurance, and your insurer's might pursue the installers. However, do this and the chances are your next year's premium will shoot up.

Who fitted the isolation valve (IV?)?
1. If it was a new one fitted by the installers, then the fault is clearly their fault.
2. If they connected to an existing isolation valve, it is more complicated:
2a. If the leak was from the tap side of the IV then clearly their fault.
2b. If the leak was from the inlet side of the IV it could be:
2bi. A pre-existing fault which was probably not their fault, although an obvious leak should have been reported to you, and with your permission corrected at an additional charge.
2bii. Caused by the installer not securing the IV while tightening the outlet connection, thus possibly damaging the inlet connection.

The difficulty is that you probably have no way of telling which of the above is the case unless you know what was there prior to installation. Unless you have proof you are probably wasting your time trying to attribute blame. You could try making a claim on your own insurance, and your insurer's might pursue the installers. However, do this and the chances are your next year's premium will shoot up.

Thanks for this, we have a British Gas homecare contract and they fitted the taps initially, The IV wasn't changed at the time of fitting the taps as far as I know. When the guy came to fix the leak he said ''it was just 1/4 of a turn out'' meaning the guy hadn't done the job properly when he installed the taps. They have tried to withhold the reports from us and unfortunately it doesn't actually say what the guy said to us on the visit which would obviously prove liability.

That is a shame. Have you tried complaining to them?

Unfortunately the only person who knows what was leaking and possibly why, would be the repairer.
It isn't always possible to blame someone for something like this.

It is unlikely that it was leaking when the installer of the tap left the job. There aren't many Plumbers who would knowingly leave a leaking joint as most will have seen the damage water can cause.

Reply to Why would an olive need to be changed? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock