Discuss Worcester Junior 28i in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone

Called out to carry out a boiler service on a junior 28i picked up the seals before hand.
Put the boiler on max before doing the service and stuck the probe in came out with a scary 1065ppm co and .0162 ratio.

Gave the bad news to the customer and asked when they last had it serviced and was told every year since it was installed back in 2012. (No paperwork availible)
Shut everything down and took it apart disconnected the gas, removed the gas/mixing chamber, burner etc.

Full of soot and it was also furred up, didn't not look serviced at All, cleaned it and flushed it out then replaced the electrodes.

I found the flexible gas hose coming out of the gas valve was badly split and the end connecting onto the mixing chamber was being held together by the plastic jubilee clip.

Not sure if the customer is telling me the whole truth but someone has attended and fitted a new pressure gauge (which was too short and popped out every time the flap was opened)

Sorry to write a essay but I'm new with these sort off issues and I've never had readings that high. Even tested my boiler indoors and the anyliser was fine.

I'm 're attending this weekend when the customer is available to fit a new gas connection and pressure gauge.

Any advice on weither these hoses are prone to bo brittle and split.

The customer also reported that it makes a bad vibrating noise when using sometimes, I've done a bit of reading and see a issue with the heat cell when spiral ribbing marks start appearing, can any help me out on this please.

Thanks for reading

Last edited:
Also phone Worcester up and get them to walk you through resetting the gas valve etc

You need to be gas safe to do any work regarding the boiler

Thanks for the advice spoke to them this morning told.

I'm gas safe just new to dealing with problems like this and being told it's been serviced every year when it's in this state.

The customer is asking if these issues should of been spotted on the last service and if they should go back to the well known company with pictures of the furred up heat exchanger, badly perished gas hose and wrong pressure gauge.

Not sure how to deal with this or if there just having me on but they seem keen to get in touch with them

Leave it to the customer there decision

Normally they want a full strip down every 4 years with a new seal and elec kit

Leave it to the customer there decision

Normally they want a full strip down every 4 years with a new seal and elec kit

Thanks for the reply they asked for the corroded electrodes and perished hose, can't stop them taking pictures of the crud inside the heat exchanger.

there ok with me shutting the boiler down until it's repaired so I've isolated everything until I'm back at the weekend.

Picking up new electrode kit comes with a seal so does the gas valve.

hose not perished they split very easily and are a known problem it could have split anytime. electrodes are also a perishable item but were probably close to on way out last year but then again it may not have ben a year when he opened up just tested flue gas and checked all other things. most companies are told if its burning right leave alone.

Reply to Worcester Junior 28i in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back