Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Working for the council/local housing assosication. in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Matt0029

Matt0029 GSR

Have many on here have experience of working for the council I think they are now all called different housing associations. Have seen a few local ones recruiting at the moment and possibly have a potential interview with one. Any thoughts on this line of work for those that have done it.

2. hammers4spanner

hammers4spanner Plumber GSR

Done it for years.
    Wouldn't touch it these days to many idiots and jobsworths now.

3. Matt0029

Matt0029 GSR

Thanks for the reply, could you explain more?

4. Matt0029

Matt0029 GSR

Was concerned of hassle of tenants, is quiet a rough area the council I had the offer of an interview off.

5. hammers4spanner

We use to get good prices on packs but they kept adding more work and snagging more. Yet prices and timescale stayed the same.
    Servicing no better poor rates poor conditions.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Matt0029

Matt0029 GSR

Thanks it would be on Salary on the plumbing side of it. So guess repair that at time scaled.

7. Matt0029

Matt0029 GSR

By poor conditions do you mean not given long for jobs?

8. hammers4spanner

Poor conditions as in places are utterly disgusting

9. Matt0029

Matt0029 GSR

Tenants houses I thought they would be yes.

10. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

I have worked in some disgusting "posh" private houses. !!

After over 30 years of self employment I now work for our council. It is a piece of cake, for which I am paid a touch over £30K. Obviously not as much as SE can make, but I work 37 hours and have no business worries, or wasted evening calls for quotes. Or accountant, van or other costs. I do keep my personal GS reg, just in case, (they pay for the 5 yearly) and |I do some selected (easy) jobs.

SE do not get 6 months full sick pay, followed by 6 months 1/2 pay, plus SSP. Or 32 days holidays (inc BH's)

As it happens I do basic jobs, as most boilers are maintained by Contractors. The downside is that I cannot choose my jobs, although if a place was dangerous to health, I would refuse to enter.

It is possibly a better job for old guys like me, whereas youngsters need to be looking at current developments, and the energy field is going to change.

So, do not discount it, but be prepared for working within an institution.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. sammathias

sammathias GSR

Pretty much what firemant said. I've worked for our local council for going on 10 years. Yes I do go to some **** holes but I could and do refuse to enter some properties. I don't actually undertake any gas work for the council as it is all tendered out. Basically do maintenance on shift work for 28k+. Get 3 days off a week to run my self employed business.
    Downsides for me would be I feel alot of the plumbing I come across is terrible to say the least and should be ripped out and started again but the council just want you to connect upto existing!! A tonne of rough contractors and even in-house plumbers throwing things in. Also I like to get stuck into bigger jobs and just doing maintenance can get boring.

12. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

Is that 37 0r so hours?

13. sammathias

sammathias GSR

Yes pal but 12 hour days so I have time off in the week.

14. firemant

firemant Plumber GSR

Pretty good. Get it over with, then earn some proper money ;)

Although I would struggle with shifts

15. Matt0029

Matt0029 GSR

Thanks for the replys, can I ask how strict you find the time restraints given per job tend to be?