Search the forum,

Discuss Zoning in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin b

Gas Engineer
Ive been asked to look at splitting a heating system into two areas in a small workshop with offices upstairs. at present it has a 54 kw boiler fitted with a time programmer and trvs on all radiators, both up and downstairs. when it gets too hot in the offices they simply switch off the boiler until it becomes cooler. my question is this, can i simply fit two port valves on each flow to isolate each floor? if i do this can they simply be operated by a room thermostat that can be wired through a spur without wiring them back to the boiler, and simply opens and closes the valve. Do i need to control the boiler by any other means and will the boiler be o.k if both valves close at the same time.

Do i need to control the boiler by any other means and will the boiler be o.k if both valves close at the same time.

Slightly scary question! Is there a bypass either in the boiler or externally? What do the MI say?

But you'll almost certainly want to do this "properly" by managing the boiler as well as the radiator circuits.

Thanks for your reply, at this stage im looking for any help or input into the best way to make this type of layout work. I understand that i need to make sure that a bypass is in place.If i make the thermostats manage the boiler as well, i will have a problem because heat will not be available to one or the other areas. Any help in the way of information or sketches would be more than helpful.

you dont say what type of wiring system is already in place, if it's an s plan like this
512px-S-Plan-Wiring.jpg

you'll need to fit another zone valve on the heating with a room stat wired back to the junction box

Ive been asked to look at splitting a heating system into two areas in a small workshop with offices upstairs. at present it has a 54 kw boiler fitted with a time programmer and trvs on all radiators, both up and downstairs. when it gets too hot in the offices they simply switch off the boiler until it becomes cooler. my question is this, can i simply fit two port valves on each flow to isolate each floor? if i do this can they simply be operated by a room thermostat that can be wired through a spur without wiring them back to the boiler, and simply opens and closes the valve. Do i need to control the boiler by any other means and will the boiler be o.k if both valves close at the same time.

If you don't know the answers to your own questions your not competent to be doing it sorry

controls should be interlocked. clock-stat-valve-boiler+pump. you will need to fit a auto bypass. if not you will have the boiler running all day around the bypass when no heating is needed.

I was simply asking for some advice, there are some helpful people on here, and no end of arrogant ones too.

That wasn't an arrogant message mate just telling truth
That's very very very basic questions you don't know the answer to so be better to get someone else in who does to maybe show you how to do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Zoning in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock